Mess Deck: General Section > Other Hobbies and Interests

Something to do while not modeling boats

(1/6) > >>

John RC:

From being a child I've always been interested in large scale tanks.
Films like the Battle of the Bulge with the huge King Tiger (aka M47) and the excellent opening scenes of a rampaging Tiger 1 (aka converted T34) in Kelly's hero's fed the imagination.
Large tank model building for me started in the 70's starting with 1/24 Tamyia tanks, using xmas and birthday to fund quit an expensive hobby then for a young teen.
Rolling forward, the last twenty years of collecting culminating in this 200kg beast.
Probably the best looking tank ever designed. Chieftain, during it's time if parked up in a good killing zone, the most dangerous tank in the world. :embarrassed: 

That's unfair really, The L60 engine and gearbox did become pretty reliable towards the end of service

This one off functional 1/5 scale beauty built for the British Army for R&D during the 70's.
I probably know more about tanks than boats and always looking at historic development documented literature.
Adding to the appeal knowing that radio/remote controlled tanks have been around for a long time.   

xrad:
Excellent. Please post more pics and details of your model!

John RC:
Hi Xrad
Glad you like Chieftain. I'm great fan of Armortek model. I have three. Though you have to be a bit of a loony tune buy one.

I have a KT, Sdkfz 7 and a Quad Morris C8 all full option.

The back end of KT and a friends Comet Venician night at Rugeley powerstation boat club (sadly now gone). That reminds me of another lemon to add another post.

P.s If I continue with this topic, I must warn every one, I'm not and never want to be associated with rivet counters. (Though I might take the micheal)

John RC:
This is one of crazy things you have to do to get the 150kg KT into the car.

When your on your own, you have to concentrate being aware a slip not only wrecks the tank but the car as well.  %% 

Just like loading and unloading a large boat, care and thought has to considered where you park up.
With a 200kg Chieftain if it stops for some reason or another, it's not something you can just pick up and chuck in the back of the car.

Some would say use a trailer, but the nature of the trailer suspension would destroy the Model's own suspension. The model is much safer in a car, it's also fun driving with a 200kg lump that has the potential to run the driver over if you brake abruptly. %% [size=78%] [/size]

If you engage in fitting pyrotechnic kit to you model, you must read and abide by the rules of maintenance 

https://youtu.be/YFigCJhcv1U

Just because they are all metal models, they are quite delicate especially when loaded with a six round shot gun blank firer.

If you watch the clip, spare a thought for the owner's destroyed a £5k model, but more importantly also consider the shrapnel that may have jettisoned by the blast at the unsuspecting crowd.

My KT has a similar blank firer adding to the excitement. %%  but use the safer 9mm blank. They don't have the same loudness or smoke. Occasionally I'll use the 12 bore blank but spaced out with 9mm blank to reduce the risk of flash back.

[/size][size=78%][/size][size=78%] [/size]

John RC:
Another view of carnage. %%

https://youtu.be/sRZfKDZ0urk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version