The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Working Vessels

RV Atlantis and Thomas G. Thompson

(1/4) > >>

JosephHuntley:
Hey guys I am working on 2 research vessels the RV Atlantis which operates the Alvin Submersible and its sister ship the Thomas G. Thompson. this project came about from the research engineer of the Thompson interested in a virtual model of the ship. He provided me with some of the drawings for the ship (after some paperwork with the US Navy that owns the vessels) and I have been getting the hull lofted up.
 So far I have the bow half finished (Both ships use the exact same hull the only difference is the transom on the Atlantis) and today started on the aft half. I also have all the frames drawn still have to flesh them out but they are spaced 2 ft apart. I am cadding these ships up at full scale and will be building them at 1/48th scale which is somewhere along the lines of 58 1/2 inches.

I do have a question maybe some of you can help me with and that is I am new to boats after getting away from years of doing planes as some of you may know, and I need info on how to add bow thruster to my ships and also the ships dont use conventional props and rudders but use a system where the shafts of the props come down out of the hull and the entire prop thing rotates for better station keeping. and I am not sure how to achieve this in R/C.

Also if anyone is good with wordpress I could use some help on my website I am website stupid.

JosephHuntley:
the cool thing about this whole project is the scientists and the ships crews of the vessels are following my website with the progress and i get emails from them on how good it is looking so far and how excited they are to watch the progress while they are out to sea and need something to do with their downlime. Thus I want to make these ships as accurate and detailed as possible that is why i need help on some of the finer engineering of the propulsion

JosephHuntley:
So tonight got the aft section lofted up and tomorrow will clean it up some but the shapes are very nice just need some more sections for a cleaner looking loft

Brian60:
Stern drives are known as azimuthing props or drives. Both those and your forward tunnel thrusters can be bought commercially but are not cheap! If nobody else links ill post suppliers later when I get to my computer.

derekwarner:
Joseph.....

Is the sectional representation along the axis as marked O true in position?

Derek

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version