Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SIGNIFICANT NEWS.  (Read 2169 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
SIGNIFICANT NEWS.
« on: April 19, 2018, 04:50:09 pm »

Some years ago, the Hull Docks Museum, under the curatorship of a gentleman called Arthur Credland, a most helpful man, who could sort out most plans that a local ship builder Cook Welton and Gemmell had donated to the museum upon their closing business. they were an invaluable scource of plans and information to model builders, and a fraction of the price of the NMM
 at Greenwich.

sadly upon Arthur Credlands retirement some years ago a radicalisation of the museum all the plans and info on the builders ships ranging from tugs lightships coasters through to their 200+ trawlers, all info was just stuffed in bin bags and put in a cellar. when I spoke to someone 10 or so years ago he said that they might be binned...........

however, I heard today from Davie Tait that these have now been saved and are being archived, sorted and will be ready for modellers to buy shortly......

BRILLIANT NEWS.

Mountfleet models two large trawlers are designed and build from using their plans, as was this trawler, Red Falcon which I built from the plans soon to be available again, after so many years.

I must say now though........they are BUILDERS drawings, not model makers drawings.

https://trawlingthroughtime.org/the-project/

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: SIGNIFICANT NEWS.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 06:30:56 pm »

Good news indeed. As a son of the city, and a visitor to the museum many times over, I did not know this!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 07:34:19 pm »

Thank all the deities for that! We have all heard of irreplaceable reference material bring found in a skip by chance or hearing about a collection having been skipped after the event so as not to be able to save it.

Two occurrences I have heard is the only photos of a Pre war Artillery tractor (Karrier Spider) and loads of references about a Polish formation that escaped Poland in 1939 and made it to Egypt to fight with us lot. Both sets found in skips.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:15:37 pm »

No surprise when it comes to beaurocracy in this city Ian. Its only a few months back that they found many priceless objects stored away in a warehouse. These were allegedly lost when the old museum was bombed during the war years of 1940 -45.

How can a warehouse full of artefacts be forgotten about for so long?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:26:50 pm »

That is one of life's mysteries. The navy found loads of stuff stored away that they donated to the project restoring Warrior in the eighties.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.