Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planes Trucks cars and Boats  (Read 2452 times)

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
Planes Trucks cars and Boats
« on: April 22, 2018, 12:44:24 am »

This is a tale of four lads Me Dave Phil and Trevor all talking about our hobbies.
 I sail on local lakes I can judge distance ,marker buoys the odd ducks and a small island which for some reason I can sail around without too much trouble some times  I just stand their having a chat while the model bobs about and some times I sail and walk around the lake talking and having a laugh with other model boat mates as we all sail.
Dave flys planes judges distance height and flies at different speeds with other flyers  stands still and flies his planes I understand this.
Phil races cars stands  and races his car from one spot normally on a raised platform I get it  .
Trevor 1/14th  model truck guy for some reason must walk behind his truck he admitted he can not judge distance or corners  and must always walk behind his truck and trailer I have seen you tube videos and they all seem to walk behind their model trucks even down at the lake open area he must walk and follow .
I still do not get it why Trevor must follow his model is it the way they are taught to handle they model or what ? some times my model boat can be hundreds of metres away same with Dave and his planes yet when I see the truckers they all follow some times just feet away from their models .
We had a vote and me and Dave rated the better operators just because we judge distance Phil was next and Trevor last and still sticks by his way of doing things right behind .
Not trying to upset fellow modellors I just do not get it can any one explain to me ? tassie 48

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Planes Trucks cars and Boats
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 12:52:09 am »

Can't explain it but totally agree with you and I play with all these types of r/c models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 06:20:10 am »

tassie     essentially you have answered your own question ..it's a  function in the human mind ......spatial Referencing

" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_reference_system
A spatial reference system (SRS) or coordinate reference system (CRS) is a coordinate-based local, regional or global system used to locate geographical entities. A spatial reference system defines a specific map projection, as well as transformations between different spatial reference systems. Spatial Reference systems"

So Dave with his planes and you to a lessor extent your boats have free space around you model....so discounting speed.....it does not matter if you two go a little of course

Phil to again to a lessor extent does not matter if his car runs off the road.......these models seem to have the ability to self right...so Phil's  path and Spatial Referencing is wider than the road

Now Trevor with his model truck even at low speed has a very narrow Spatial Referencing in his mind.....his road is narrow...he has near zero room for error of the navigation of his scale truck......if  he misses a bend or corner his  truck can overturn and not self right

This is why people with such models follow them  O0

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 08:09:19 am »

I understand what you're getting at.......but part of the fun of RC is being able to see ( in clearer detail ) what your model is doing.
Some of the scale detail, especially working features on a model boat for example,  maybe totally lost if you're sailing more than 20 feet away..

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 09:15:05 am »

I've seen the prices of the trucks..... :o ...I'd follow mine if I'd shelled out that much.........!
Bintur Ellenbach

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:24:09 am »

Sorry.... >>:-( .....Phil to again to a lessor extent

Phil too again to a lesser extent

My bad choice of stupid English words  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 11:16:10 am »

Sorry.... >>:-( .....Phil to again to a lessor extent

Phil too again to a lesser extent 

My bad choice of stupid English words  {-)
Derek

aye, derek,

don't knock our stupid words.......there, their they're steeped in ancient history mate......a lot greater and longer than you crims have down under...............and besides....it was you lot that imported it on your prisoner and colonial building ships in the first place.......... {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

as a reply to the original point..........I have sailed models on our lake at Fleetwood for nearly 55 years, as boy and grown up boy, and distance from my toy was no object..........but I bought my daughter a radio controlled car some Christmas's ago, and could never get over the point that when I played with it on the promenade, I also would have to follow it at close quarters.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 02:02:46 pm »

Perhaps the trucks just look better close to.  If they have sound effects, just possible that you need to be near enough to hear them.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 05:08:10 pm »

RC tank owners are the same. But I can see their point if the model weighs two hundredweight and could crush a kid if they met in a busy show aisle. Even a 1:16th scale tank might have the gumption to knock a little kid off their feet with consequences if not attended to quite closely.

I have probably watched a number of the same RC truck videos as you and have seen that controlling them on their scale road network is at best difficult, at worst nightmarish, so following them does reduce the effect of multiple scale driving law infringements!

Pond weed is your enemy

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 09:11:59 am »

If your into trucks how about this beastie

https://youtu.be/edV6wTkm4Bw 
:-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 08:00:24 pm »

The running scenery is as impressive as the models especially quarries. That is a lovely model that must use twelve channels including those for the grab? The rams on these models seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer.

I would love to see more period truck models, say from the fifties and sixties as the cabs are so stylish, even when not the most shapely, they evoke a period of hard work both in and out the cab!

Thanks for sharing.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.