Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamiya king George v  (Read 9251 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Tamiya king George v
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2018, 08:39:36 pm »

Hi all here is the crane from the kit.

And here it is after the PE

Does anyone know did these cranes have windows in the top (I mean I don't think they stood out on those railings to hoist the ships boats on board) I can't find photos of the cranes details, I would think it would be a fairly simple job to add them if they were there.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2018, 10:47:17 pm »

Well....I am sure most will agree, those brass etched parts from the PE sheets make a huge difference in the improvement of the clarity of detail

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 11:51:11 pm »

I have missed this beauty of late Ken. I love the work you have done with the PE. I think that as the kit has been around for a while, it may be one of Eduard's early attempts. That should not be an excuse as they have 2d printing and could update the set with little effort compared with all the work you are having to do. If I were to put the etch over those plastic boxes, I would use a narrow chisel and remove enough plastic until the etch slid over the top. Alternatively, I would just shave the edges with said chisel to sharpen them up and forget the etch, as there seems to be no detail on some of them.

Highlights for me so far are the boats and the Radar systems  :-)) Don't fret over having less time to model, we all get these periods and you are actually doing a lot of fiddly time consuming work, so you may just be taking longer anyway, but it's not about that, it is about the enjoyment you get from it and not for us to expect you to work too hard and rush projects out.
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 07:54:15 pm »

Here is the next sub assy I'm going to attack

The eduard PE comes with PE Oerlikons but I like the kit ones

One of the reasons is the barrels on the kit parts are round also the PE parts are too thin.

I'm adding some of the PE to the kit Oerlikons to make them more realistic (I could add more PE to it but it's soooooooooooooooooòoo small I've left it off)( of course a lot of modellers would be able to add it but I don't have the skills)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 08:53:04 pm »

Understand about the size of the PE parts at that scale.  If you can, try to add the PE shields and targeting crosshairs, plus the adjust wheel. All add a nice touch.  I agree to use the kit gun body.  Casting looks good.  A factor of the scale you are dealing with (1/350) will always be difficult, but oh so worth the effort and well worth the attempt to use the PE.  Good job!  cheers!  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2018, 08:40:07 pm »

Your mention of the shape of parts is one thing that always annoyed me with etch. Making an extensive fret of parts to update a kit is great providing it does not try and re-invent the wheel. Round things should be round and vis versa. I appreciate that the finest flat parts can be made round with several coats of paint, but some parts are too large for this to work on etch.

Lovely work as usual, even just adding the hand wheels will make a huge difference.
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 09:00:35 pm »

Hi all well I finally got some modelling time (Its a rare thing these days)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2018, 07:47:21 pm »

Hi all proof I've not given up on this.
Here is one of the four pom poms on the next part (they just take so long)

Here are the unfolded magazine casings for the rest of them

Here they are folded

Now I just have to cut the magazine's themselves and bend them then fit them, oh and then cut out and bend the body's, then cut off the magazine's off the plastic parts, oh then bend the cages for the magazines.
I really don't think I will do PE pompoms again.
I saw somewhere where someone makes resin and PE pompoms for 1/700 scale ships that have 100+ parts, including metal barrels. Whoever undertakes those is either a hero or totally insane, or maybe a masochist.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2018, 09:03:49 pm »

I don't feel so alone anymore with the PE stuff.  Building WW2 aircraft for my Yorktown is driving me nuts... only 12 more to go... cutting, assembling, painting, assembling again.. and on and on.  I guess its keeping me out of trouble??  Keep up the good work sir. ;)   Dennis

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2018, 08:49:44 pm »

Finally got the pompoms done on this part (get less and less modelling time these days)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 09:45:00 pm »

I must say that I really do like the brass color effect from all the PE parts.  It does add something special to the model and draws attention to some of the special scale detail points.  Great job Sir.  Dennis

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »

Hi all teeny tiny bit more done

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2018, 12:26:43 pm »

A while back you asked about windows in the crane roof. If they were similar to these, on a USN icebreaker and seen on other types as well, the controls were on the roof. Note the sailor running the crane. Enlargement also show the controls distinctly being roof mounted. The housing or body of the crane sheltered the two winch assemblies.Better late than never.Jonathan

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2018, 08:08:48 pm »

Hi all nearing the end now ( I say that hopefully)
As is now

With all the PE on the decks

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 09:22:47 pm »

Hi all, well apart from the Oerlikons all the deck furniture is done, i think, hope?

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2018, 08:17:00 pm »

Bit of a catastrophe on this one missus knocked one of the sub assemblies off the bench, i can't find the pe range finder also can't find the bit the crane is held between on the 2 bits that both broke off to say I'm annoyed is an understatement, i was going to try and finish the Oerlikons this weekend, also some of the pe mast stuff is missing or bent (hopefully I can straighten that out.

Not sure what else is missing I'm hoping anything else won't notice.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2018, 10:32:12 pm »

So sorry sir, I do know how you feel.  I knocked one of my US Navy Destroyer models at 1/350 scale off its table while attempting to mount the ship to pedistals.  Of course, it flipped on the way down and had to land on its mast.  It was a mess of twisted PE, etc.  I did slowly rebend the PE and remount.  It will never be perfect, but good enough. Sick feeling when you watch all those hours of work to create, gone in a moment of time.  Its like watching a RC model airplane bite the dust......   you will recover.  Best, Dennis

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 06:52:46 pm »

Hi all well I finally got some modelling time and I've fixed what I can and I've now glued the sub assy's to the deck (I know it will make adding further pe problematical but I figure the whole ship will have to be knocked off the bench to damage bits in the future)

So now I have about a gazillion bits of PE to add to the  Oerlikons, then all the railings, build and add the last set of pompoms to the stern big guns, add the pe to those guns and the job should be a goodun.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 08:12:39 pm »

Very impressive! I don't have the ability or patience to do such tiny PE detailing. I take my hat off to you.  :-))

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2019, 08:50:07 pm »

Hi all well all the Oerlikons are finally done as is the last of the pompoms (I accidentally stuck the shields on the wrong way round on the first of this set of Oerlikons and thought the brass showed up better so I've done all the rest the wrong way round (if you use the etched detail side you can hardly notice the pe)(here's a challenge try to find the ones with the pe the right way round they hardly notice)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2019, 08:08:47 pm »

Oh how I wish I hadn't glued the sub assy's on putting the railings around them is proving to be a royal pita, I've even tried prying them off (why is it that you really glue something well and it falls off if you sneeze, you just tack something and it's stuck fast) grrrrrrrrr I think I've just made this a million times harder, i should not have got paranoid that the sub assy's would get knocked to the floor again.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2019, 07:39:23 pm »

Hi all here is the best tip you will ever get, never ever glue the sub assy's to the deck if you're using pe this piece of pe took 2 hrs and ive left a piece out as I see no way of bending it and getting it in place (tbh it's so small even if I added it I doubt it would show anyway)

Once again DO NOT GLUE SUB ASSYS TO THE DECK IF USING PE.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2019, 03:47:45 pm »

Hi all that's all the PE attached just the rigging to do now (not looking forward to that) I say all the PE there are some steps and platforms to add to the sides but I will add them after it's on a stand as I already broke the platform off the one set of stairs which I added and lost the platform for them, i figure it will be safer to leave them till last.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 06:37:36 pm »

Hi kp

I admire your patience with your PE brass work, your KGV looks really good. I spent an hour yesterday swearing at the aerial spreaders on my HSL! Got there in the end but your work is truly epic. Keep up the good work. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2019, 06:43:38 pm »

Well she's finally finished, now I can get on with some of my other stalled builds.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.