Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie and lifeboats... please share your experience..  (Read 3258 times)

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Newbie and lifeboats... please share your experience..
« on: April 25, 2018, 12:03:42 pm »

I have always been interested in the life boats and I did see the GRP kit at the Warwick show from models by deisgn is it?? Poole way.. by me anyway..

I do like the idea of building one rather than buying one.. but if one came up that needed a refresh or was part built then I would be interested..

I like the more modern RNLI boats not the old traditional boats..

what get its me is... is it best to go GRP or wood.. we all love wood, well I do anyway.. but it's a heck of a shape to create that's for sure and A LOT of small parts to do as well..

Where do folk get some of the fitting kit to dress the boats from? any good source ?

if I was to go GRP any good small companies or home makers to recomend ??

I can make stuff from wood infact I think I did a decent job of my 1st boat and others have said I have so I would like to carry on and use the skills I learnt .. I have not made from a drawing yet.. GULP! but I have set up my workshop to make!

If it floats it's a winner :-)

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie and lifeboats... please share your experience..
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 12:57:13 pm »

By all means build in wood, that is the way you learn, but if you want real longevity use glassfibre. It it rot proof, acid proof, strong,takes a good finish, reasonably light. Just be aware of "strong" alkaline solution as it does have an adverse affect. Best wishes, nemesis

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 01:42:23 pm »

any kits or Hull's to look at worth doing?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 05:59:02 pm »

any kits or Hull's to look at worth doing?

there are plenty of kits and hulls around for lifeboats, surfer..........it all depends on which lifeboat you want to build as to what manufacturer to go to for the lifeboat you want..........but unless you can work to precision on the fittings [ and wood for fittings is not the way to go] you will need a kit/semi kit....rather than just hull and cabins.

I do know of two part built lifeboats that are for sale or will be once I have viewed them for the widow of the gent that was building them before his passing, but at the moment I just don't know what they are, only that all proceeds will be going to Fleetwood RNLI.

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 07:05:52 pm »

If one of those is a Tyne I might be interested Neil

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 11:25:18 pm »

If one of those is a Tyne I might be interested Neil
if it was, RMH, so would I [ but only if it were at 1;12 scale] but I know that one of them is one of my old kits, Ann Letitia Russell but the other one.................I have no idea at the moment, sorry to say,

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 02:51:30 pm »

Hi Neil.. well funny thing is I am coming to Lytham St Anns so yes keep me in the loop please..

I was talking to a chap with a new build Crash Tender and he put me on to a nice lake at Fleetwood so I will be bringing my boats with me when I come up for the visit.. I will try not to end up in Blackpool Hospital over night this time...  :-))  Long story but I am still not right now..

yes the life boat has always been on my list of boats to own.. I live by the sea and help raise money for them.. and I am out on the sea as well.. so I have a respect for them.. even better the money goes to them.. I have kitesurfed right by Fleetwood RNLi station.. in the mouth of the river there so I know 100% where it is and can picture it in my mind... boy!!! that tide does go right out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 08:54:27 am »

Have a look at Mountfleet models (adam) he has a few different lifeboat hulls & cabins (X models by design stock) but make sure you can get the plans.

Baloo

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 10:03:34 am »

i looked there... no RNLI boats there..

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 10:55:46 am »

I will see Adam tomorrow at a show and ask him to update his items for sale

Baloo (martin)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 02:46:46 pm »

Hi Neil.. well funny thing is I am coming to Lytham St Anns so yes keep me in the loop please..

I was talking to a chap with a new build Crash Tender and he put me on to a nice lake at Fleetwood so I will be bringing my boats with me when I come up for the visit.. I will try not to end up in Blackpool Hospital over night this time...  :-))  Long story but I am still not right now..

yes the life boat has always been on my list of boats to own.. I live by the sea and help raise money for them.. and I am out on the sea as well.. so I have a respect for them.. even better the money goes to them.. I have kitesurfed right by Fleetwood RNLi station.. in the mouth of the river there so I know 100% where it is and can picture it in my mind... boy!!! that tide does go right out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it certainly does, and fast too........we have a 6 knot run on the outflow........

fleetwood lake is like the Atlantic....................totally unpredictable............flat calm one minute, dog rough within half an hour, but we still have the little lake at the end of the main lake which can be sailed most times in safety.

give me a pm when you come up with your boats and I'll dig my lifeboats out from the dust layer and come down for a sail.

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 10:23:32 am »

will do Neil

did I manage to put up my first picture?? if so I will be bringing o[size=78%]ur latest project with me.. and my loverly wood lauch boat the VERY nice shiney one LOL [/size][/size]

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 10:24:57 am »

i meant this one
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.