Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warship anchors  (Read 2964 times)

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
Warship anchors
« on: April 27, 2018, 02:21:40 am »

Hello all

Can anyone please advise me as to whether there is made metal anchors for warships. 

I do not seem to find anything online.

I am building in 1:48 scale the RN patrol ship Leeds Castle. At least one anchor will be operational in the model so some weight needed. I noted that some online made static anchors from plasticard in smaller scales.

Will I have to cut and solder metal strips or make a mould and cast some?

I have not been able  to find the name for the type of anchor but it looks similar in essence to an AC 14. I have a photo which I could post if it would help.

Hope to hear from someone.

Thanks

Toby

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Warship anchors
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 09:07:50 am »

Aeronaut do a range of metal anchors in a variety of sizes. I think the closest to an Admiralty anchor would be a Hall type stockless anchor.  They're available through Cornwall Model Boats at a reasonable price.  Downside is that they are bright plated in brass so will need painting but you were probably going to do that anyway.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 11:21:24 am »

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated and I will look at lunch time.

Toby

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 11:27:17 am »

Hi
you can try and give Barry a call on 07791 440 641

http://www.sirmarfittings.com/leeds%20castle.html

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 11:51:25 am »

Thank you John

I will telephone him during lunch.

Toby

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 06:15:03 pm »

Does it have to be metal ?
Regards David

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:31:38 pm »

Marks model bits do 6 different sizes in resin..

Paul..

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 10:59:20 pm »

To John and Paul,

Thank you for your thoughts and help so far.

I 'phoned Barry and he called me back tonight saying that albeit that his website had omissions he does actually produce items for Leeds Castle P258 and in 1:48. So this may be helpful for others to know and he is going to forward a list so that I can see what is available. Goes to show that it yet remains best to 'phone rather than relying totally on that  shown as being definitive on a website.

Also I had great help from Justin at Fleetscale models who looked at emailed photos to determine what particular anchor I sought. He does produce them in 1:72 should anyone need in that scale. He suggested too that I contact Adrian at Battle Crafts and kindly pre-'phoned him so that when I 'phoned Adrian he was up to speed as it were. They may be able to supply albeit we may have a  divergence on scale / dimensions.  Still there plans I have contain errors so nothing would surprise me frankly. Anyhow we plan to communicate tomorrow when he and his father have double -checed what they have.

So here and there many have been helpful and kindly. So thank you very much.

As to the material of the anchors, the answer is that it does not necessarily have to be metal albeit the shank in the anchor needs to work or can be made to work with a little adaptation so that when the anchor reaches its hull seating and the shank goes up the hawse pipe all will seat properly. As I hope to have the anchor operational some weight to the anchor may be preferable when wanting the anchor to drop.

The anchor winch on my plan is quite wrong compared to photos of the original ship. That will be something else especially if to have semi working.....ie the chain stunning overt the gypsies.

Any ideas on the size of stud link for 1:48 scale anchor chain.

Toby

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 08:36:38 am »

Hi Toby, if you look on MMBs ebay listing the anchors are supplied in 2 parts so they will pivot... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282932634490

Paul..

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 11:01:21 am »

Paul,

Amazing and in a selection of sizes.

When I think of the number of search terms I have used on eBay and elsewhere and found nothing and yet there some be after all. I did not use ....mmb.....Amiralty.... resin...etc  before, but rather ..rn.. royal navy...ac14 .. anchor.. warship anchor... and so on.  Just goes to show how the tags either do or do not find what one is looking for and that individuals list items by different names. I remember finding some old Victorian stamps at a good price because the seller had, on seeing on them 'twopence',  listed them as 2p
(Modern currency) rather than 2d or twopence. Collectors searches did not find so no bids; thus a find for me.

Thank you again for your help. Great progress.

Perhaps you would also  be better at finding the correct winch/ windlass for me.

:} 
Toby

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 11:09:51 am »

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 11:31:52 am »

John thank you. Great details. I wonder sometimes whether  some sites are not quite set up for those using a mobile device for when I search on various forums sometimes links that others state I don't find. Yet I can access the link they show. Strange.

Anyhow, great links and you must have been very pleased to have been aboard the ship. Lucky you!!!!

I am glad that you took photos and are kindly and generous enough to share them with us.  I note in the thread that you say you have a CD with more photos. ... did you ever find it?
I note that there are a few errors on the plans available so photos are key to having a sensible degree of accuracy.

Toby

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 12:01:54 pm »

Perhaps you would also  be better at finding the correct winch/ windlass for me.

Try contacting Mark, he made an anchor winch kit for me a while ago (the small green steam anchor winch on his website) I was struggling as it is quite small & he was very helpful...

Paul..

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 10:32:29 pm »

John thank you. Great details. I wonder sometimes whether  some sites are not quite set up for those using a mobile device for when I search on various forums sometimes links that others state I don't find. Yet I can access the link they show. Strange.

Anyhow, great links and you must have been very pleased to have been aboard the ship. Lucky you!!!!

I am glad that you took photos and are kindly and generous enough to share them with us.  I note in the thread that you say you have a CD with more photos. ... did you ever find it?
I note that there are a few errors on the plans available so photos are key to having a sensible degree of accuracy.

Toby

Over simplified, read something that apps are cut down programmes, in other words they don't do all that a desktop programme does.
Also Win10 was developed for mobiles, tablets etc to cash in on Apple's Ipad success, but was modified to run on desktops, hence desktop setting or tablet setting for Win10.
The gurus can explain it better than I.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

funnel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 11:14:38 pm »

Thought such may be the case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.