Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PVC to steel  (Read 2747 times)

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
PVC to steel
« on: May 02, 2018, 07:21:20 pm »

i have two crew 8” crew figures to sit in my Dumas Chris Craft. I tried attaching magnets to them with 5 min epoxy but the magnets were not strong enough, so obtained some VERY strong magnets.
When I set out to remove the original magnets, they came off with disappointing ease, the new magnets are so strong that I definitely need a stronger bond to hold them.
The irregular shape of the figures means that a resin/putty type compound is needed, so looking for advice.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: PVC to steel
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 08:45:44 am »

Miliputt, two part epoxy putty.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 03:50:03 pm »

Thank you, I have tried a similar product, Unicorn Steel Epoxy stick, hope it does the job, spent a long time reshaping and painting the crew, would hate to see them get drowned in the lake :-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 06:19:01 pm »

Can you not reinforce the joint by pegging the figures to the boat? All the crew on my fishery cruiser have thin metal pins inserted and glued into holes drilled up their legs with the other end epoxied into the model.

Colin

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 07:45:44 pm »

Thank you Colin I want to use magnets as they save marking the model and give an easy way to display with and with out crew, but I will store your suggestion for a later date.
Next step is to glue some picnic items onto an alloy sheet with fabric in between, torn between epoxy, liquid nails perfect glue, or, from past experience, archery fletching adhesive.

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 06:46:30 pm »

The crew figures seem to be sticking very well to their magnets, fingers crossed, the next job was to fix some picnic items to a magnet-backed aluminium sheet. The materials to be bonded were aluminium, cotton fabric, epoxy putty and ceramics.
I got some Soudal Fix All Invisible High Tack and have just assembled the item, it has a very strange consistence, a stiff gel, but easy to spread and very tacky, it is clear and very easy to work cleanly, excess that squeezes out is easy to lift away with the point of a craft knife.
So far, very impressed, it will be interesting to see how it is after curing overnight.

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 06:05:39 pm »

well, she has been round the lake and nothing fell off.
One odd thing that came out of this is that I made one item (a bottle of Champagne) from Steel Stick epoxy and it attaches with surprising firmness to my mounting magnets, I was very surprised, and quite pleased.
I had been a bit concerned about adding weight, but the boat seems to ride a little better for it, all good fun.

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 08:56:34 pm »

I have used the Soudal Fix-All High Tack for 2 more jobs, first was a flagstaff that had been knocked from its socket (previously epoxy} this seems to be a good repair and lacks the brittle nature of the epoxy.
The next was a bit more substantial, I have fitted a new motor in a multi-adjustable aircraft style mount, I happened to have piece of ebony that has been sitting in a cool dry place for 30yrs, hard, dense and ideal for the job. The Soudal has an odd texture, is light and flexible but does not sag, all looking very good. 

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 09:12:06 pm »

Any modified acrylic glue will stick them so strong, the plastic will break before the bond.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.