Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What model is this?  (Read 1981 times)

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
What model is this?
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:59:04 am »

hi everyone, need some help identifying what this model could be, it was 1 of my late uncles final projects, sadly passed away before getting much done. It looks like a vacformed type of hull, fitted with twin props and rudders. I forgot to measure it but I’d say it’s probably around 30” long. Here’s some photos:

Thanks

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What model?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 11:20:14 am »

Hi,
I see there has not been much response to your query, so I hope I can add some thoughtful observations on the model.
From the pictures I think the hull looks like a displacement design such as used for a fishing boat. As such a single propeller and rudder would have been more suitable. Twin props are more suited to a high speed hull and was probably a bit over ambitious for this design as it will never plane. If you want to complete the boat I would think about going back to a single prop and rudder.
The hull design is the kind more often used for a small live steam unit, possibly on display, as a gentleman's river launch for putting up the Thames. Not unlike the Billings African Queen.
It would be quite easy to make up a dummy steam unit with a small brushless motor hidden inside; perhaps with the battery pack in the boiler structure.
I can see a lot of careful work has gone in to the deck and your late uncle would no doubt have made a fine model.
Regards
David

David

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:05:31 pm »

Thanks, I was thinking similar, he normally built fishing vessels, but the scale of it I can't quite decide what it should be. I'll come up with something and let my son use it.

Davo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 08:32:38 pm »

The hull might suit a 1/12 scale sea fishing day boat. A small forward cabin would house all the radio etc and probably still have space for some cabin detail,  The rear could be an open cockpit with batteries below the deck; the whole lot being one lift off assembly. A single propshaft and motor would simplify matters.
The decking detail was obviously a labour of love and well made.
David
David

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 10:58:47 pm »

The hull might suit a 1/12 scale sea fishing day boat. A small forward cabin would house all the radio etc and probably still have space for some cabin detail,  The rear could be an open cockpit with batteries below the deck; the whole lot being one lift off assembly. A single propshaft and motor would simplify matters.
The decking detail was obviously a labour of love and well made.
David

That sounds a good idea, I'll find some photos on google for rough reference. My uncle did like doing the detail work. I remember when I was about 9, we went round to his house and up into the attic where he was making a model rail goods yard in N gauge, about 15' long by 4' wide. When we went he was laying individual paving slabs on the station platform. Took him years to finish the layout, once it was done he got bored and ripped it all up within a few months.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.