Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: graupner kit lettering  (Read 1461 times)

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
graupner kit lettering
« on: May 14, 2018, 12:24:11 pm »

Hi having trouble with graupner kit lettering it appears to be waterslide transfers or decals but has what looks like a peel off film if you take the film off before wetting the letters come off individually if after they peel off the boat or does it stay on permanently any info would be welcome   Bill...

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
Re: graupner kit lettering
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:49:36 pm »

My wife bought me a Graupner Otto Lauffer some years ago and the lettering in the kit wasn't water slide but a vinyl sheet.... the letters weren't individually printed, a way around this was to cut them out ... a bit of a task and not at all neat.

I painted the hull semi matt black which then highlighted the shiny vinyl edging around the lettering.... awful.
I ended up buying a sheet of individual vinyl letters of the correct size and font...... much better and guaranteed to stick and remain stuck.

Regards
Terry H

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 01:03:27 pm »

Hi terry these are not vinyl not seen anything like them before thanks for your interest  bill..

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 08:36:00 pm »

Recently finished a Graupner boat with this type of markings. They are water slide decals and appear to be made up of individual letters. As these would normally separate when soaked the film over them is a carrier film that holds them together until placed on the boat. Once in place and pressed down well the covering film can be removed. As there does not appear to be a backing film to the letters as normal for waterslide you don't get the silvering around the letter if placed on a matt surface.
Jim

Dundee Model Boat club

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 10:19:36 pm »

Thanks Jim finally worked out the correct sequence as you say they are water slide but they need leaving much longer than normal before removing the carrier film  Bill...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.