Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battleship Richelieu 1943 Version 1/100 scale  (Read 16288 times)

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Battleship Richelieu 1943 Version 1/100 scale
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 05:29:36 pm »

Hello,
I managed to cast all the skiffs,

including the dinghys for which I used bi-composant RTV putty (having run out of proper liquid RTV) to make the mold.
Next comes the hard part, making the decks and superstructure out of styrene. There is not a single straight line on these Richelieu's skiffs... >>:-(

Anyhow, I got the decks on. One nice thing about moulded part is that once you've made a Template for each type of skiff (there are 3) the decks fits nicely (no need for custom parts for each one of them).

Cheers

Serge
Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, E terra magnum alterius spectare laborem(Lucrece: De Natura Rerum)

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2018, 04:12:08 pm »

Hello,
no, in case someone was wondering, I haven't been inactive... I fact, I have been working on those bleeming skiff's superstructure to the point that I got the felling of having intercourse with flies (pardon my French). Just to show the level of frustration. >:-o
What a pity, at this stage of the build having to go into such levels of détails. At least, a Richelieu 15" turret, it's simple, it's massive, it make sense. These? The sheer number of skiffs just show the level of confidence headquaters had after our friends across the pond had finished tinkering with it!
Anyhow, here are the superstructures with their windshields:

made some little 3mm propellers and some little steps (all that's missing is a bunch of 1/100 scaled idiots). <*<

I even manufactured some little steering wheels and seats, just in case the guys want to do some water skiing once the war is over and the ship has been sunk. :police:

In fact, I even had to work one of the decks free with a cutter blade so that I'll be able to fit them in...

In short, a complete nightmare.

Cheers

Serge
Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, E terra magnum alterius spectare laborem(Lucrece: De Natura Rerum)

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
More boats to make....
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2018, 02:39:31 pm »

Hello,
I made some progress on the skiffs and escape boats.

Here is the state of Richelieu's  "Fleet"

composed of 5 launches, 2 large escape boats and 2 dinghys which equals to a total of 9 according to the Polish plans I have.
Only there is a big problem  >>:-( . Indeed I dug up a naval monography from "LOS" magazine of the ship in '43 and it's 15 I need, not 9:

Here is the detail:
  • 5 Launches of 2 types
  • 4 large escape boats
  • 4 dinghys
  • 2 average size escape boat
I got no molds nor plans for the average sized boats, but I'll just modify one of the launches hull.
In any case, I got to make some new prints.... :((

a+

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2018, 09:25:21 pm »

I hate boats and do not begrudge anyone omitting some of them. Hey, she must have come under some attacks that 'accidently' destroyed some of the boats and she hasn't had the opportunity to have more shipped  :}

Work on your excuses Serge!!!!
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2018, 08:32:08 am »

When making the boats do please consider that sometimes the number shown was the maximum peacetime number and not wartime. If you look at where some are stored one 15" salvo and you will have matchsticks all over the place!!

When ships went to see they often landed some of their small boats and tied them up at their buoy. If they came back they got them back, if not it didn't really matter as they weren't going to need them again!

Oars - if you take a plastic card thin rod and squash one end in a vice you get an oar. It takes a little practice to get it right but its a very easy way to make oars. Think how many you will need!

I think this could also be done with thin aluminium rod as well if you want something more robust.

Cheers

Geoff

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2018, 09:44:08 am »

I hate boats and do not begrudge anyone omitting some of them. Hey, she must have come under some attacks that 'accidently' destroyed some of the boats and she hasn't had the opportunity to have more shipped  :}

Work on your excuses Serge!!!!

Thx Ballastanksian & Geof
It turns out I won't need to make any story up.... :embarrassed:
After a tip from a friend (my good friend Eric) ,I dug up a picture from Sarnet's book page 191 dated 26th of August 1943 taken during sea trials in Chesapeake bay.
It's always better than a magazine monograph.

If we zoom in:

One can see clearly that there are indeed 2 large motorized 15 M whaleboat, as well as three 10 M launches (type unknown as there are 2) between the fore and rear castles. Level with the fore castle are two of what looks like 8 M whaleboats on each side for which I have no plans. In front of the fore castle are one launch to port and a small skiff of undetermined size or type on both sides which I'll replace with my already made 2 M skiffs. As for the 8M whaleboats I have adapted launches hulls. So that's a total of 10 boats and I only have to make the 8 M whale boats... Can't see any Oars on the plans I have though but it's true most are motorized (apart from the 8M whale boat?).
Otherwise, I made progress on the 15M boats

and installed the rubber ring (6mm in diameter) and the engine housing

as well as the 2 small staircases at the back

Cheers

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2018, 08:00:44 pm »

They are really nice Serge.
Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2018, 03:29:22 pm »

Hello everyone and thx ballastanksian.
I have at long last finished all 10 of the launches, skiffs that my Richelieu version features.

Here for the details:

I installed them where they are supposed to reside, and it fills up the gap rather nicely. Unfortunately, I realized that all the little détails like steering Wheel seats and so on will never be seen by anyone. Only I will know they're there...

I've also installed the ones which goes on the deck

With the difference between port and starboard:

All I've got left to do are some minor détails like the sky lookout chairs. I had some 3D printed ones, but I can't find them, only the binoculars, so I ordered somemore...
I can't believe I could have finished this ship TODAY! Well, it'll just have to wait till next weekend. Finishing it after 4 years of hard work will leave a big gap in my life, but my wife will be happy that I'm finished with it. At last she can recover her dining room and husband.

Cheers

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2018, 03:59:48 pm »

You can fill the gap neatly with another project! How about one of those French Pre Dreadnoughts, or one of your classic pointy armoured Cruisers?

Anyhow, Richelieu is gorgeous especially with those boats Serge  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2018, 11:44:07 am »

You can fill the gap neatly with another project! How about one of those French Pre Dreadnoughts, or one of your classic pointy armoured Cruisers?

Anyhow, Richelieu is gorgeous especially with those boats Serge  :-))

Thx Ballastanksian,
I don't like pre-dreaghnouts, but I have identfied my next project: it will be the ultimate, it will be Yamato....

Cheers

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2018, 09:47:51 pm »

That will be an epic!
Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2018, 01:49:17 pm »

Hello all,
well, I've finished installing the sky lookout chairs and the binoculars:

And, I have also started making the molds for the blast bags. I am planning on using the "sock mold technique" which consist in dipping the shapes into latex several times. once set, I should get a thin, tough membrane of the proper shape. It's the same technique for manufacturing "French Letters" which we call "English condoms" over here (go figure... %))

after having cut the shapes in balsa, I applied 2 layers of époxy, to remove any asperities.

I'm not too sure on how I'll fix them to the turret, but see what happens.

Cheers

Serge

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2018, 06:39:40 pm »

Amazing build.

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2018, 03:00:49 pm »

Thx Kpnuts,
Well, I'll tell you what I did, even though I am not sure whether it will be a success yet or not.
So, I bought pre-vulcainised  "esprit composite" Latex with black die (which looks alot like smoke black)
Then, I h=just dipped my moulds into the latex:

in between layers or dips, I wait for it to cure about 1/2 an hour. To go quicker, I stuck the moulds into my oven at 70° C. I have tried to take one of the socks off a mould after 4 layers and it came off nicely. The only thing is that the exterior was about 0.3mm thick and a bit sticky so that it just clumped.
I then learned that it takes 24 hrs for it to dry up completely.
So, in the end, I ended up applying 8 layers and I cut some of the excess off to control thickness which is about 0.7mm:

The properties of Latex are as followed
-shore hardnessv80
-Elasticity 700%
These should make nice blastbags

We see what happens next Saturday as it takes 24hrs to cure completely. To take it off the molds, the exterior has to be coated in washing up liquit to prevent the sock sticking to itself.

Cheers

Serge

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
Yesss!
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2018, 03:54:16 pm »

Hello, well, being as patient as I usually am, I could not wait to try to unmould the socks:

A quick try on the guns:

Of course, I still need to adjust them. The good news is I think I won't even need to build a frame or glue them. Just thread them on the tubes and voilà!
I'm very pleased that this stupid idea of mine actually works!

Cheers

Serge

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2018, 09:00:05 pm »

Whilst a bit large, the images were interesting to see. That is an interesting way to do the blast bags!
Pond weed is your enemy

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2020, 10:24:48 am »

thx Ballasttanksian! %%
Best Rgds
Serge

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2020, 01:18:23 pm »

Amazing build. I very much like your technique for bloomers. Well done!

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2020, 01:21:47 pm »

PS: There are some very nice photos of her following her overhaul in NY here:  http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/00fb.htmScroll down the page a bit. Many are quite enlargeble.

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2020, 01:38:21 pm »

Hello Akira,the link does not work!to see the model in action see it here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7pjuD9dprw
cheers
Serge

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2020, 02:06:51 pm »

Sorry,, my mistake. Try this:       www.navsource.org/archives/01/00fb.htm
Scroll down. The images are very enlargable.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2020, 07:38:21 pm »

Hello Akira,the link does not work!to see the model in action see it here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7pjuD9dprw
cheers
Serge

Great to see you back and about! I look forward to see some new progress.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2020, 10:53:06 pm »

I too am glad you’re back, this is certainly one of the different warships you don’t see modelled very often.
I look forward to your next instalment. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.