Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: motors please  (Read 290 times)

grace

• Full Mayhemer
motors please
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »

hi, im aftr 4 motors to propel a traction tug and an 8ft barge....graupner 900's ...heater blower motors etc etc ..cash waiting

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: motors please
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 04:44:36 PM »

try going to your local car scrapyard, oodles to pick from. nemesis

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:12:53 PM »

Having purchased quite a few scrapyard blower motors over the years I would suggest a couple of things to consider. Car blower motors can have had a great deal more use than most model motors.

1. Second hand motors have all been used differently and you will find that they perform differently. Unfortunately whereas I used to go to the scrapyard & have a look at what I was buying before removing/buying it I am not now allowed into the yard and have to ask for a motor to be removed. If it works I am expected to buy it. Heater motors are now often buried under the dash somewhere rather than easily accessed.

2. Even apparently similar cars use different motors. Various manufacturers produce visually identical blower motors but they do differ in performance. Trying to obtain 4 identical motors would be a challenge around here.

I am afraid that if I wanted 4 motors for a model in which I had invested a lot of time & money I would buy new or motors with a known history.

PS A traction tug with 4 heater motors? Wow!

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »

Something I forgot. Some modern heater motors only work in one direction. Nor much good for reversing or opposing direction props. It might be easy to sort out but I have not tried.

grace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:01:57 PM »

hi, thanks for your replies so far...i need four motors for two different models...i bought a 8ft barge and bought the motors with the model but they are rubbish to be fare.i can stall them with my fingers when they are running 24v........the other model is a traction tug and again i bought some brushless motors and speed controllers and they are a joke...they run far to fast and you have to double tap the sticks on the tx to get it to reverse.....

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:39:09 PM »

Please tell us how big your tug is and what size propellers you are using. With that information, you might get some recommendations for suitable motors. It's possible that one of the T motors from mobile marine models is what you need, but without some more information I can't be sure.

Pages: [1]   Go Up