Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Other Technical Questions...

2BA Props

(1/3) > >>

mudway:
Just acquired an old model needing some TLC which has a 2BA shaft in it and too large a prop on it.

Does anyone make a 2BA prop these days?

chas:
If my old memory serves me correctly, 2 ba is slightly under 5 mm. It might be worth trying a 5 mm prop on it if you have one and seeing if is secure. I'm not sure you could re thread it, there is probably not enough metal to do it properly.
Chas

mudway:
Thanks, I've tried a few M5 props but the thread is different. You can screw them on but only for a short distance. Not enough to secure them om the shaft.

steamboat66:
protean design, he does odd stuff to order.

chas:
I was afraid that might be the case. Is their any chance you can re bush the existing tube to take a 5 mm shaft? Otherwise you can investigate the removal of the whole tube and shaft. Heat applied to the tube with a mini blowtorch or soldering iron and giving it a twist with pliers or grips usually does it. Assuming you can get at it.
Or, maybe some older modeller will have a stash of old props. The cost of having props specially made is high and you have to consider buying couplings, so I doubt that is a practical solution. What type of model is it? we're mostly a nosy lot on here
Chas

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version