Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: H.M.S. Hood...........The Mighty Hood.........1/72 scale  (Read 9449 times)

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
H.M.S. Hood...........The Mighty Hood.........1/72 scale
« on: May 19, 2018, 09:56:05 pm »

I have always loved Hood, as a kid building Airfix kits, she was my favourite.
I have always admired and wondered at the larger scale models in museums and on here. I have battled to say to myself, no, not yet, don't do it, you're not good enough...........well I haven't listened, bought 'Anatomy of a Battlecruiser' and am now in the throws of drawing up the hull lines for a 1/72 scale model.
It may take quite a few years to get done but I am in no rush.
Hope to have it with fully firing guns and all the bells and whistles that can be fitted to her.
All being well, and it is time consuming, the plans will be 'full scale'. This gives me the chance to iron out any flaws with the conversion from the book to AutoCad. I can then scale down to any size I want. Will do a 3D model as well to get her as accurate as possible.
Must be my mid life crisis, would be cheaper to get a motorcycle or an open topped sports car.
I must say the book is worth every penny, the detail is superb.
Soon as I have anything worth showing I will post up for approval..............👍

And no, i am not mad, my mother had me tested.......insane but not mad.
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: H.M.S. Hood...........The Mighty Hood.........1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:14:17 pm »

And here is a very special relic in the National Museum of the Royal Navy at Portsmouth. HMS Hood's bell recovered from her wreck. Something which inspires much respect.

Colin

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 10:24:20 pm »

Couldn't agree more Colin, I remember seeing the first attempt at its recovery and was downhearted when it failed. So glad they did recover it and it looks splendid. A fitting tribute to those lost.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:07:31 am »

Nice one Stewart what a challenge  :-))   Get a build log going I'll be watching it mate and I'm sure you'll do a lovely job too.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 09:40:18 am »

A long way to yet Mark. Getting the plans scaled up and accurate are the biggest challenge. Would like to submit to the H.M.S. Hood association to get their blessing before even thinking of making a start on cutting any timber. But thanks for the thumbs up.... ok2

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 03:01:31 pm »

Ooh, this will be interesting to follow. Which era will you build her for? As built or just prior to her sinking?

She will be 3612mm long when complete, so it will be interesting to see your ideas and plans for storage and transport etc  :-)) :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 07:47:40 am »

Sorry for a late reply Stan.
All good questions, yet to be answered, mainly because I don't know yet.
My main task is firstly is to transpose the plans out of the book and into autoCAD, this is taking a long time as each when cross referenced with another drawing is out? So it is a constant battle to decipher which plan is good and go from there. The plans are being done full scale, then scaled down to whichever scale you want. Latest breakthrough is getting the deck plan correct, this can now be transposed back to the body plan which can then be adjusted accordingly. Hard, time consuming work, but worth it.
It will have to be a split hull, 3.6M is far too big to handle in one go. Plank on frame, fibreglass, metal, plastic........not decided on material yet, but a lot of ideas floating about in my head. Once I have made some headway, will post an update.

ps, maybe worth seeing how much body plan from NMM is, that will clarify any vagueness in other plans?
Any one had dealings with NMM?

Stewart

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 08:30:12 am »

I'm fascinated by extra-large models. The thing that interests me is managing the huge weight.

A 12 foot model is going to be incredibly heavy so any point-loads will probably break something - like accidentally resting it on a pebble on the grass while preparing for launch - it will just puncture through the hull.
Even just picking it up - if the construction method is not beefy enough, then it will sag in the middle and fracture the centre joint of the hull. I'm very interested in how the problems are solved.

Looking around shows, it seems most people build up to a manageable 6 feet - something that will go into a car - so how many people build really big models?

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 08:49:27 am »

From my experience with a 4.5m long hull for a 1/32nd Type 42, weight wasn't the main problem as about 1/2 of the final weight on the water was ballast which I made removeable by using gravel in polythene milk containers.   I make a 1/72nd model of a 40,000 ton original about 110kg - about the same as the T42.  Overall size did mean I needed at least one helper to move the hull around.  Transportation was on a car roof rack most of the time.

More challenging I suspect will be the power drive as this would need quite high power if you want to replicate the full 32ish knots Hood could manage.  Perhaps have a look at the A Team's Type 45 arrangements some years back on this forum?

On NMM plans you can e-mail them and ask what they have available but from my recent dealings with them it is £50 per high definition JPG file.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 10:15:56 am »

I have seen 2 methods used.1 on a 3.6 metre USS Missouri, a solid bread and butter hull ballasted with everything from lead weights to bricks.2 a QM2 with water ballast from the lake.   Emptied with a 12 v. electric pump

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 02:41:32 pm »

48th scale

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 07:08:45 pm »

Didnt somebody start a build on here of the hood in 1/72 or 1/48??

I am sure it was somebody called Martin......no not that martin %%

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 12:25:14 pm »

HMS Hood was easily your most beautiful ship. Long lean clean lines. No clutter. Fast. In 1/72 a fantastic build. I wonder if her lean lines might interfere with the milk jug ballast approach. That said, there are several gents on this site who has chosen the flood down approach and managed it quite successfully. I expect there will be some math involved to get it right, and I am not the one ask about THAT. Please post a lot of picture as your build progresses.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 10:48:10 pm »

The first of many hurdles has been crossed........1st basic 3D skeleton has been rendered in AutoCad. Now to see if I can get a skin on the skeleton then double check measurements. Even the reference book has thrown up a few anomolies causing horrible ripples along the freeboard edges and an odd height discepency on the stern. But looking at it now, it all looks fairly good.
Still lots to do but a happy start to see it emerging into a 3D ship, albeit on a computer screen......... %)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 07:12:50 pm »

Have a look at Bob K's Agincourt build Stew. He used telescopic stainless steel tubes both as locators and joining pins with a toggle catch to keep the two halves locked together.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,58070.0.html Pages 3,4, 8 and 9 have relevant info.

On helping him to join the hulls at Wicksteed last weekend, it was found that weak tables or uneven surfaces hinder the joining process, and I recommended having a cradle for each half hull made so they hold them at the same height so you can slide the halves together with less distortion. Bob also found that the tubes need to be dust/grit free to prevent jamming as the tubes are a snug fit.

At the scale you are building to, you could use even bigger tubes.
Pond weed is your enemy

Barry

• Full Mayhemer

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 07:44:48 pm »

Thanks Ian......Bobs Agincourt build is a gold mine for info for 'the larger build'.
The biggest problem is getting these plans correct, at this scale any discrepancy is shown up and I want this to be as accurate as possible mainly as a mark of respect to the men who served and lost their lives on her. So it is going to be a long haul before any building is going to start. But ideas are welcome.......going to need plenty of them...... :-))

I have heard of 'Task Force 72'.......long way for a sail but good to have a point of contact for fellow 72 scale builders, cheers.

Stewart

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 08:27:13 pm »

APS Models in Australia make a 1/72 scale semi-kit of her so might have scaled up plans in 1/72.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 10:43:03 am »

Can I ask for some guidance please.

I have got the CAD drawing 90% completed but the trouble I am having is deciphering measurements off the HMS Hood association website and from the book 'Anotomy of Hood'.
I have taken a pic of a side view of her. The length is correct (overall, waterline and between perpendiculars). I have added the 3 levels of waterline, deep, mean and light. The vertical line is midships.
The problem i have is the freeboard measurements. On the associations website, 3 dimensions are given, fore, mid and aft.......how and where are these measured? For the life of me i can get nowhere near what they say.
If someone can kindly mark on the image the position to measure the 3 freeboard points i will be very grateful.
Many thanks in advance
Stewart.

F Flintstone

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 12:44:38 pm »

Don't forget keep her away from "Bismark"

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 07:56:53 pm »

I believe that these marks are taken at the most forward point of the hull, the lowest point of the sheer midships and the stern most point of the hull. This Wiki entry explains the midships freeboard while the other two are logical by way of being the extremes of the hull in a normal ship. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeboard_%28nautical%29

For ships like the Campbelltown (USS Bellona) and many other warships, Offshore support ships and Tugs, there is the complication of a raised section hull at some point, but this should not affect your build. As long as your draught is accurate this should provide the waterline and thus a good point to measure upwards to get your freeboard extremities.

Pond weed is your enemy

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 08:53:03 pm »

Thanks Ian, I eventually came to the same conclusion after searching 'Tinterweb most of the afternoon.
Looks like some more alterations on the cards. Seems during printing the body plan has got distorted slightly...........the joys of scratch building.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 09:06:41 pm »

You'll get there Stew. She will be the mother of all planking projects  %%
Pond weed is your enemy

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 04:13:20 pm »

After many hours going over all info I had and could source off the web I think I have finally come to a satisfactory conclusion on Hood at her last known configuration. The deep water line and low freeboard measurements threw me for a while and it seems the body plan in the book is slightly out. Anywho, I am finally happy with the way she looks, I have decided, for ease of drawing, to overlook the different armour plates over the torpedo bulges, it really was causing a massive headache, so she is smooth on paper but can easily be added once into the building stage, which is a long way off at the moment. I may have got this far in drawing her, now to get the frames drawn up and start to think about internal configurations of motor mounts, prop shafts, batteries, turrets etc etc.
Still a very small step along a very long path but at last I am going in the right direction.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 11:37:01 am »

Still working away, little by little.
Big question I need to ask......Hood's props at 1/72 scale are going to 65mm.......4 of them, what would be considered the 'better' motors to swing these to give a realistic scale speed and a 'bit' more for emergencies. With a model this size it will be running off SLA batteries 1 for each motor. The reason for asking is while I am in the planning stage, I would like to know what I need to get it running and how and where it can fit, I would like to run as silent as possible, so brushless 'whinning', or clunky gears are out.......suggestions fellow modellers please........ :-))

Stewart
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 22 queries.