Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: T.S. Queen Mary  (Read 2233 times)

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
T.S. Queen Mary
« on: May 20, 2018, 06:23:45 pm »

Today, on the 85th anniversary to the day of its entry into service it was nice, with fellow members of the Model Steamer Club of Glasgow, to attend the open day on the T.S. Queen Mary at the Science Centre in Glasgow. I took my father’s 48th scale model of the QM to the event. Building of this model started in 1970 and after my father’s death in 1990, the model passed to fellow club member Douglas Curley who refurbished it to the wonderful standard it is now. I was lucky enough to get it back from Douglas last year. Ian Fleming brought along his model of the T.S. Queen Alexandra; Andrew Petrie brought the Ken Anderson (one of the founder members of the MSC who sadly died last October) built model of the T.S. King George V; and Aeneas McGhie brought his model of the P.S. Caledonia: all ships built by Dennys of Dunbarton. Iain Quinn of the Clyde River Steamer Club took interested members of the public and enthusiasts on tours of the ship and the event was organised by the Friends of the Queen Mary and even while the event was taking place volunteers were working on the ship. More information is available here:- http://www.tsqueenmary.org.uk/index2.htm
As the photo shows, it is hoped that the QM will be berthed just upriver from the P.S. Waverley beside the Science Centre and not too far from where she sailed ‘doon the watter’ from the centre of Glasgow for very many of her years in service.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: T.S. Queen Mary
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 06:25:00 pm »

The Queen Mary meets the Queen Mary.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:26:05 pm »

Late 1971 with a wee boy who would one day grow up.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 06:28:09 pm »

A couple of pictures from early showing the model under construction but sailing at Dunoon at one of the many shows the MSC did at the old Clyde pier towns.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 06:30:34 pm »

The wee boy grew up, discovered fast cars and women, but dad still had the boat although it didn't sail much latterly.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 06:33:57 pm »

But it did make it to the steamer days at the Glasgow Garden Festival in 1989.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 06:36:17 pm »

And it made it to this years Model Steamer Club open day:- T.S. Queen Mary passing T.S. Queen Alexandria.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 06:38:04 pm »

P.S. Caledonia; T.S. Queen Alexandria; T.S. Queen Mary; T.S. King George V .... today

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 06:39:55 pm »

The end of a happy day.

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 06:43:43 pm »

Not only that, but Vic32 was moored in the canting basin just astern of QM and set off on one of her day trips down the Clyde just as we arrived.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 07:21:03 pm »

Absolutely an incredible day you must have had, some really great pictures to, I noticed one from the Glasgow Garden festival which I was one of the technical directors on and do remember the models.  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 11:05:01 pm »

beautiful models and seems a lovely day was had by all. :-))

Sandy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 08:49:35 am »

Thanks.

It was very nice to also be asked to attend the Champagne Reception organised at the City of Glasgow College on the evening of the 22nd. Ian, Aeneas, Andrew, Ian and Carol and I had a very nice evening and had the chance to meet the trustees, volunteers, college cadets and guests, including Sir Robin Denny of the Denny family, Jim Pettigrew of the Clydesdale bank who gave a speech of great enthusiasm, and John Whittle, former CSP and Calmac chairman, most famous for selling the Waverley for a £1. Fine folk all. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon sent a nice congratulatory video message and Barbara Dickson sang a couple of beautiful songs.

As what could be termed a life cynic I was thoroughly impressed with everyone involved in the event and in the on going process and the future vision for the ship; the enthusiasts, the volunteers, the trustees and fund raisers, the college and their nautical cadets and staff, the Science Centre, all seem enthused with what it could bring to the city. It was a very empowering evening. And the cake was lovely.

And some of us also had the chance to sample the college's tremendous 360 degree ships bridge simulator which was astonishing.

Best wishes to all.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 02:40:07 pm »

Thanks.

Fine folk all. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon sent a nice congratulatory video message and Barbara Dickson sang a couple of beautiful songs.

have to admit, Nicola thinks a great deal of the history and future of Clyde shipping,like her or hate her you have to admire her for her support of such stuff.

personally i'm warming to her...…..great legs as well,  %% O0 {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.