Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clamping tubing?  (Read 2757 times)

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Clamping tubing?
« on: May 20, 2018, 10:23:46 pm »

Hi,

Does any have a trick or tool that allows me to clamp tubing in place while cutting threads on the end without crushing the tubing?

Seems like anything that holds it firmly in place also crushes it.  I've tried rubber vise jaws to no avail.

Inserting a thickwall tubing inside of the one being threaded is passable but I still get some crush and/or vise marks.

Could the flaring tools for brakelines work?  Do they come small enough?  I max out with 1/4 in tubing.

Ken/Landlocked

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Clamping tubing?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 04:04:26 am »

I am sure there are many ways to do this, below is what I would do. I already have tube benders, but you don't need them.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 11:25:48 pm »

Hi,

Does any have a trick or tool that allows me to clamp tubing in place while cutting threads on the end without crushing the tubing?

Seems like anything that holds it firmly in place also crushes it.  I've tried rubber vise jaws to no avail.

Inserting a thickwall tubing inside of the one being threaded is passable but I still get some crush and/or vise marks.

Could the flaring tools for brakelines work?  Do they come small enough?  I max out with 1/4 in tubing.

Ken/Landlocked

]Hi Ken,
You don't say what dia of copper tube you are trying to hold and then thread. remember that copper pipe in new condition is annealed so it will intend to collapse under pressure and when threading it the root dia of the thread is usually so thin to the inside wall it makes it hard to thread.

Do you need to thread copper pipe, can't you make bolt together flanges ?

George

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 04:10:22 am »

Fuys,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have to go find my bending springs.  Never liked them.  Seemed like I had to unscrew them off the tube once the bend was made.

Ken

tghsmith

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 10:35:54 am »

I have used an adjustable type flaring clamp tool that will crank down to almost zero.. but it can leave tool marks.. another option for clamping shafts and tubes is an ER16 collet and holder.. I had a holder modded to fit my lathe, but mounted in a vise they would work very well as a clamp,,

southsteyne2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 11:19:43 pm »

I use the little nylon wheels off sliding door runners ,works well for 1/8th to 5/32 tubeCheersJohn

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 01:33:11 am »

I never thread copper tubing, always solder fittings on.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 03:48:58 am »

All,

Thanks for all  the suggestions.  I was able to get things to work this time.  I backed off to break the chips every half turn so I didn’t put as much torque on it so I didn’t have to clamp too hard. Good technique works. :D

Progress pics on my main thread soon.

Landlocked

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 11:11:00 am »

Just seen this, another option would be solid copper rod of the correct diameter, cut the thread on the end and then drill out the centre - as long as the finished length of pipe required is not too long! Or as above but on a smaller diameter than your required pipe, then insert solid piece into end of pipe and solder into place.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 12:54:05 am »

Oops!  >>:-(

I tried to tighten things too much and sheared off one of the fittings 

I decided the smart thing to do was to order a nipple and some "pipe" with thicker walls.

I was able to extract the stub using a screw extractor and save the fitting.

Landlocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.