Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting car ESC  (Read 1548 times)

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Connecting car ESC
« on: May 23, 2018, 09:58:56 am »

Please excuse my ignorance, and thanks for previous replies, I have learnt a lot, but a couple of questions.

I am fitting brushless motor and ESC to my pre-built Dumas Chris Craft model, as built it had a brushed car ESC and MFA Torpedo motor.

The builder had two switches, one to power up the ESC, a second (operated first) to power the ESC’s cooling fan, his procedure, which I adopted, was to switch on the fan before the power switch, then at end of run, to switch off power and leave the fan running for a while to cool down the ESC.

I have obtained a waterproof ESC which has a waterproof switch attached.
The ESC, by Leopard Hobby, appears very robust and well made and is twice the recommended rating for the motor (120a)

My instinct is to simply connect the installation “plug and play” without a line fuse on the input side, does this sound reasonable?

Also, the builder had the brushed ESC connected to the elevator pins of a Spektrum aircraft receiver, is it OK to leave this as is?

Thanks in anticipation.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Connecting car ESC
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:54:19 am »

Most modellers still use inline fuses, usually between the Battery and ESC.
You can also fit, recommended if you have the room, a "Self Resetting Fuse", which are useful in case of 'simple over heating' rather than a 'burn up!'
See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse
 https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=214_215_222

The independent fan seems like a good idea, keep that.

The 'channel' that the ESC is connected to, is usually driver's preference, i.e. the channel on the receiver is directly related to the stick on the Transmitter, ( but on some computer radio that too is selectable! ).

Hope that helps.... a bit!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 01:47:11 pm »

Thanks, is there a type of inline fuse that is generally well regarded? the rest of the components look very sturdy, so don't want to introduce a weak link, in the component sense, not protection sense.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 04:24:50 pm »

Car blade type fuses and holders are a good choice.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.