Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: servo quality  (Read 3320 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
servo quality
« on: May 24, 2018, 06:27:28 pm »

are these servos any good...…...need to push a couple of voith schnieder units about, and are they metal geared.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4pcs-Standard-High-Torque-Servo-For-S3003-Futaba-RC-Car-Plane-Helicopter-Boat/112945457038?epid=8017840162&hash=item1a4c12e78e:m:mG174UCH7U1mSPvk6Lfg14g

cheers, neil

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
Re: servo quality
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:12:13 pm »

Neil.  Looking the pictures it seems that they are not  metal geared as the cog at the top is white therefore plastic or what ever they use nowadays.

Component shop sell very good metal geared servos, which is where I get all mine from :-)) :-))

Graham

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:17:19 pm »

Clones of Futaba methinks .

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:20:51 pm »

Neil.  Looking the pictures it seems that they are not  metal geared as the cog at the top is white therefore plastic or what ever they use nowadays.

Component shop sell very good metal geared servos, which is where I get all mine from :-)) :-))

Graham

Was just trying to cut corners and get them cheap graham...…...probably not the best way......

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 09:48:04 pm »

Neil contact Iain at component shop for some decent servos

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:50:44 pm »

Neil contact Iain at component shop for some decent servos
Dave

cheers mate...……..left it to a mate...….he knows him. ta.

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 10:24:08 pm »

they are fakes, wouldn't touch them.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 10:28:40 pm »

Hi Neil
At that price for futaba i would be very wary too cheap . Same model servo at howes 8.95 pounds .
Ref cheap servos read this
 https://servodatabase.com/servo/towerpro/mg995

John

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 10:56:43 pm »

Hi Neil
At that price for futaba i would be very weary to cheep . Same model servo at howes 8.95 pounds .
Ref cheap servos read this
 https://servodatabase.com/servo/towerpro/mg995

John

cheers john...…….are you micks' mate............i think you have sorted some out I believe

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 08:40:10 am »

Hi just about to use a Tower Pro MG 946R (metal gear) as a sail arm winch in a small yacht, will let you know what happens.
I have had one servo burn out from the supplier but the plastic gear 9grm servos work OK, but they have only been used for small boat rudders.
regards
 Roy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 06:20:21 pm »

I bought a batch of 10 Tower MG 90 ( the mini servo) from AliExpress in China. Three of the ten wouldn't work via a servo tester, plugged them into a receiver and still no go, so consider them faulty.
You get what you pay for and I bought these knowing the quality may be suspect in some of them.  However I could have bought these exact same servos from several retailers in the UK at twice the price I paid for them. The only difference is that if I had bought in the UK I could have returned them as duds for a refund or replacement. As it is, I now have 3 sets of gears for future projects and 3 micro motors for similar!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 06:53:15 pm »

cheers john...…….are you micks' mate............i think you have sorted some out I believe

yes

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 09:12:12 pm »

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 09:24:21 pm »

remember getting one of these in a boat and wondered why there was so much movement and not accurate. opened it up and found the reason,
servo.jpg" border="0

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 11:44:40 pm »

Ye gods, what a gear wheel.
 Now, will someone explain to me why we spend ages making a model, invest time effort and love on it, then risk it to save a fiver on a servo!!!!!.
I really don't get it, I'm a Yorkshire man with a Scottish mother so I love a bargain, but to take chances with dubious electronics etc is beyond my understanding. Someone please explain this.
Chas

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 06:10:11 pm »

Think you have a cloned Futaba servo there, Tim. Original Futaba servos use a much finer module final output gear than that. The ones on ebay are probably cloned at that price.

I can't see any reason for needing anything other than standard plastic geared servos for the Voith units.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 07:24:28 pm »

Many people are always looking for a bargain but generally you get what you pay for.
Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 08:30:35 pm »

Sometimes, but a lot of branded R/C kit are trading on brand names these days. The vast majority of scale model boats only require very modest servo torque ratings. Traditionally it was R/C cars that gave servos a good workout when used for steering. Metal geared servos are somewhat OTT unless it's a very large model or you're using it for something like a sail winch.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 08:06:09 am »

Hi All
I have used the Hobbyking and Trackstar servos with no problems.
The first ones were 3KG torque, the I found some 4.5KG ones for a $1 more so these are my standard servos.
I do have a couple of 9.45 KG ones for my electric outboard boat.

Canabus

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 12:07:32 pm »

Think you have a cloned Futaba servo there, Tim. Original Futaba servos use a much finer module final output gear than that. The ones on ebay are probably cloned at that price.

I can't see any reason for needing anything other than standard plastic geared servos for the Voith units.
Hi Subculture, yep it was a clone. Got it in a 2nd hand boat and couldn't understand the poor turning, till opened it up. I started to use the turnigy servo and not had one fail now.

tizdaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boom!
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 03:09:06 am »

Can't go wrong with Savox servos (I've used them in large scale off road RC where they are subject to lots of vibrations & are very trusted).
So for my largescale tug i went with the Savox SW0231MG which is waterproof & metal geared & has 15kg torque @ 6v, price is £28.
There is also the SW0230MG, which is basically same servo but less torque (8kg @ 6v) and is also £2 cheaper.

both these servos are near bottom of this list: https://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?area=servo&type=WATER&title=Waterproof+Servos :)
My large-scale TID Build Website: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/forum

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RCTidTug/

surfer71

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 11:24:25 am »

I quess you get what you pay for .. I have used cheap servos and they have been fine but yep agree metal gears are always hands down going to be a winner long term and as perfectly said why cut corners for a few ££ when you spent £100's on the boat .. having said that.. I got some basic ones from Howes at Warwick and only use them for steering and to be honest.. all good so far.. no issues I don't expect much from them but so far all is good.. for my life boat I will be looking for better one to be honest..

Have any of you had the gears go?? I mean I think back inthe 80's my Holiday Buggy shot across the road and crashed in to the curb and damaged one tooth on a gear but I just moved it round and it worked fine .. so I have not had one fail on me..

If it floats it's a winner :-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 03:35:29 pm »

Have any of you had the gears go?? so I have not had one fail on me..

no not me either, and they've been in very inaccessible places as well........

lucky or is it just folk law that servos "go"...., lol.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 08:30:39 pm »

I've stripped gears on a couple of servos, but only under extreme duress, and never on a boat. Damaged a gear on a 9 gram servo when I crashed a plane- bent the rudder back on itself which forced the linkage and took out the final drive gear. i also managed to break a carbon fibre gear on a  Hitec servo trying out a servo driver board, which sent it past its stop limit- user error!

I think much of the desire for over strong servos is based on misunderstanding of force, and a balance of what is possible and what is necessary. For the vast majority of model boats, even large ones, the standard 3-4kg.cm servos are more than up to the job, and many boats can get by on a good deal less.

Models which can put a bit more strain on servos are things like yachts where a servo is used in in place of a sail winch, or many model submarines where the shaft seals can increase friction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 2.011 seconds with 21 queries.