Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lipo on/off switch  (Read 2215 times)

GaryC1234uk

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
lipo on/off switch
« on: May 24, 2018, 11:14:27 pm »

Another newbie question - So bought a 'High Current RC Li-po Battery On/Off Switch Connector XT60 Plug' off Amazon (but identical products available everywhere ebay, hobbyking, bangood, etc ....). Anyway turns out to be useless!

I suspect it really is a current problem as it works OK at first but tends to cut out when applying full throttle (D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv via HobbyKing 30A ESC 3A UBEC).

So what do other folks do?

(- my thoughts are low amp switch operating a high current 80amp relay).

Gary

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: lipo on/off switch
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:39:18 pm »

No switch, just unplug it. One less thing to go wrong in your power line. Also, it is good practice to unplug your LiPo anyway, you don't want it slowly going flat if you forget to turn it off at a switch..
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

GaryC1234uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:22 am »

I have the battery and receiver in a watertight box - and it is accessible but not easily. When not being used (not at the lake) then yes I would disconnect the battery. But between sessions 'on the water' I would like a 'safety kill switch' that makes sure that all is 'inert'. I don't really want to de-lid-it too often, especially as using connector as a switch will increase ware-and-tare of the battery and boat connectors.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 11:40:37 am »

Add an external link to the radio box. Break one of the wires from the plug to the battery and connect to two bullet plug sockets mounted through the side of the box. Use a flying lead with a bullet plug on each end as the link to make the circuit. Remove this flying lead when not in use.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

GaryC1234uk

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 04:50:34 pm »

Jim - thanks - guess that would do the job - not elegant, but, this is only for a rescue boat design and already done same thing for the boats FPV camera which has it's own 1 cell mini li-po.

Cheers

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 04:13:48 am »

Some race groups require a safety lead as described that boat retrievers can remove on the water.
Brian

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 12:13:07 pm »

I've never used switches on LIPO , use DEANS connectors , their spring loaded & good for 60 amps+ easy enough to have a short lead from the box with a deans connector on , make & break to your heart's content , Vaseline the  prongs and they'll last & last . . . switches will start arching & burning eventually , and if you weed up the LIPO will keep pumping in the power 'til something burns or breaks . . . <:( 
Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.