Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended motor size?  (Read 1343 times)

MvModeller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Recommended motor size?
« on: May 27, 2018, 09:40:12 am »

Hello there

A long way off installing a motor in my build yet, but curious as to what size motor Id need.
My model will be approx 1220mm by 200mm. Its a Bulk Carrier ship so obviously this model will need to have a slow speed to look anything like the real thing..

Ive seen belt drives, and many other different types of motor drives, and sizes.. could anyone recommend a motor type/size for this type model?

Many thanks in advance

MV

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
Re: Recommended motor size?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 10:14:25 am »

the size of the prop would help the equation.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 06:30:19 pm »

Based on similar sized models I can recommend the Mabuchi 555 from Component Shop or T12 from Mobile Marine Models. My American Scout Liberty Ship is 127 cm x 18 cm, 4 blade 50 mm diameter prop and weighs 10Kg. It goes quite nicely with a 555. My Ben Ain is 120 cm x 20 cm and weighs 12 Kg It has a 4 blade 65 mm diameter prop and goes well on a T12. The Mabuchi is 35 mm in diameter and the T12 is 51 mm in diameter. Both are low rev high torque motors and need no further gearing down. All my boats are Tugs or cargo boats and all fitted with these two motors.

John

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 10:12:44 am »

If you know the power of the real thing and the scale of the model, you have the basis for guessing what the model needs to drive it realistically.  Convert the horse power to watts, divide it by the cube root of the scale and you are near.  To allow for the real hing stating its power out put and the model motor stating its input, multiply by 2.  RPM of the prop should be about real thing time square root of scale with a scale prop.
Then do what Buccaneer said.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 23 queries.