Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Monster Mersey  (Read 28737 times)

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
Monster Mersey
« on: September 13, 2007, 07:17:58 pm »

As anybody who has followed my other builds on the Mayhem/Lifeboats 24/7 sites I have a love of Lifeboats, especially the Mersey Class. Also I tend to build either in 'odd scales' or with 'additions' such as Talus tractors or boathouse and slipway.

As I currently have no Mersey I decided to build another one, but in an 'odd' scale. This was to be bigger than the last one (1/6th scale) so the 1/3rd Monster Mersey was born.This will be a long term build to complete.

Stage one was to rescale all the 1/20th scale RNLI drawings to suit the new model. After much use of scanner,calculator and paper the bulkheads were cut out ready for assembly,but first the keel.

This was made from treated structural timber and built up using epoxy resin, hardwood dowels and stainless steel screws.

The bulkheads were then fitted in place, again using waterproof glue and screws, also between each bulkhead extra sections of keel were fitted to hold each one accurately in place.

More soon as this post is getting long, each section will be kept to bite size chunks.  ;)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Monster Mersey
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:29:53 pm »

Once all the bulkheads were locked onto the keel the upper ends were braced with timber struts to maintain their spacing and make the basic structure rigid.

Planking of the deck/hull was then commenced using standard T&G wall cladding from the local superstore!  ;D

The logic behind this is that the plank edges are all locked together, it's only 7mm thick(so it bends!), it's relativly cheap and it only has to form the basis for the glass fibre skin! ;)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:51:55 pm »

Gobsmacking  :o 8)
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:52:46 pm »

how many crewmen will it carry? ;)

or is it a gunship in disguise? I spotted the old cannon in the background!
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 07:56:42 pm »

Amazing! If one follows the ever decreasing pattern of your scales, is the next Mersey going to be 1:1?  ;D
Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:02:41 pm »

The deck has been planked and the finished shape plotted and cut.

The coaming around the central hole will be fitted later.
The planking of the sides was commenced at deck level again using T&G.

The shape of the transom will be cut out for the prop tunnels when they have been planked  later.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 08:06:23 pm »

how many crewmen will it carry? ;)

It is intended to carry a crew of 1......... ME!! maybe SWMBO as a passenger  ;)

Amazing! If one follows the ever decreasing pattern of your scales, is the next Mersey going to be 1:1?  ;D
Andy

Not likely Andy, if I want to play with a 1:1 Mersey then I go to Scarborough and see Dave the Station Mechanic!! 8)

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 08:10:28 pm »

The hull has been inverted to allow the planking to continue.

The shape of the Mersey hull is now beginning to show.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 08:27:12 pm »

This is really something Gribeauval. Looks great

How many feet of planking would estimate to use here. It doesn't look cheap to build.

Watching with interest

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 08:36:00 pm »

This is really something Gribeauval. Looks great

How many feet of planking would estimate to use here. It doesn't look cheap to build.

Watching with interest

Ken

The hull and deck used  12 packs of T&G each 2.4 mts long with 5 planks per pack. As I said the local DIY store was having a sale, each pack was only £3.18 (40% off!!). 8)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 08:44:11 pm »

Terrific bargain. can't go wrong at that price.

Do you have 'under cover location' for the winter time. ? Have you designed the trolley for it ?

Gosh, it's going to be heavy.

All the best

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 08:51:26 pm »

The main parts of the hull have now been planked and the flare at the bow modified as the the planks did not curve in the correct manner. This was done by the addition of extra plank sections and polyester filler.

The next problem to be tackled was the prop tunnels. Thes were a nightmare as each plank in the tunnel was different and they all bend in three different directions at once!! :o The T&G could not be used so a trip to the timber merchants was undertaken to obtain some 6mm ply. In the cutting shop I found a pile of 6" x 8ft offcut strips and did a deal for them all for £5, bargin of the year!! ;D

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 08:59:47 pm »

After much bad language and a lot of screws the tunnels are finished and the flow of the hull into them is now completed.

Now that the tunnels are finished the planking across the transom was cut to suit their shape.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 09:18:46 pm »

The hull has now been turned up the correct way to allow work to be done on the deck. The flare on the bow is now corrected and the groove in the stem post will be cut later (this is where the recovery strops are housed when not in use).

Basic filling of all the joints has been done and it's now ready for the glass fibre skin to be added, when finances allow! ;)

The coaming around the hull cut out has also been fitted ready for locating the superstructure.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 05:50:42 pm »

Now I see why you could not post it down fro Painting

Stavros !!!

bigH

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 03:52:28 pm »

AHA!  I knew it, Stavros's real name is NOAH;;;;   When it comes to loading up Stav, could you please place my g/son and g/daughter in the front of the que ? they are driving me round the bend.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2007, 04:06:01 pm »

AHA!  I knew it, Stavros's real name is NOAH;;;;   When it comes to loading up Stav, could you please place my g/son and g/daughter in the front of the que ? they are driving me round the bend.

This happens to be my build, not Stavros's!  8)

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2007, 05:24:24 pm »

After having spent the last couple of weeks getting rid of holes in the Mersey, i.e. planking the damm thing  8), this afternoon I deliberately cut holes in the transom!!

This was to allow the recesses that hold the trim tab rams to be fitted. These have now been sealed and filled so the hull is one piece again.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 03:01:03 pm »

I have been indulging in a little lateral thinking to solve the problem of the recessed lidded exhausts that are fitted into the transom of the Mersey. This brought up a couple of drain pipe fittings from under the bench and cheap metal ashtrays at the 'Pound Shop' (Please no comments on the ashtray pictures 8)).

They indentations in the ashtrays were hammered out and then painted with primer and hull blue.

The pipe connectors were cut to size, end caps and hinges (dummies) added and then primed and sprayed with metallic paint.

The two parts are then joined to make the dummy exhaust.

The holes in the transom were then plotted and cut out and the exhausts tried for fit. They will be permenantly located after the grp skin on the hull has been done.

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 03:08:31 pm »

Very neat. Pipe fittings and ash trays------Brilliant . Do you sometimes worry about your thought processes ? Amazing. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2007, 04:23:56 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAN i am blown away by the progress you are making on this monster, , its just awesome......  its inspirational.....

keep up the good work mike,  and keep posting , i am going to follow your build closely....i love it !

cant wait to see you finish the boat then build the tractor and then the 1/3rd scale boathouse too !!!!

but one more serious question  that was raised earlier is- how you going to move her ?- surely a trolley will be need to be more like a trailer ?
i suppose  its going to need a  custom road trailer to move her around to shows or events or just to and from your local water....do you plan to launch her from the trailer ???

sorry about the 20 questions but i launch a 62 inch long  model and its heavy work, , and thats tiny in comparison to your mersey ! just wondered what your plans are !

keep up the great work !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2007, 06:23:10 pm »

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAN i am blown away by the progress you are making on this monster, , its just awesome......  its inspirational.....

keep up the good work mike,  and keep posting , i am going to follow your build closely....i love it !

cant wait to see you finish the boat then build the tractor and then the 1/3rd scale boathouse too !!!!

but one more serious question  that was raised earlier is- how you going to move her ?- surely a trolley will be need to be more like a trailer ?
i suppose  its going to need a  custom road trailer to move her around to shows or events or just to and from your local water....do you plan to launch her from the trailer ???

sorry about the 20 questions but i launch a 62 inch long  model and its heavy work, , and thats tiny in comparison to your mersey ! just wondered what your plans are !

keep up the great work !

Thanks Guy. I intend to build a custom road/launch trailer for the beast to move it around.  ;) I know the problems as most of the boats I build are at least 1/12th scale upwards. I just don't like little boats, something to do with eyesight and age I think!  8) 8) ;D

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2007, 06:23:54 pm »

So I guess you have a warehouse for storage somewhere? ;D
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2007, 06:32:55 pm »

So I guess you have a warehouse for storage somewhere? ;D

No it will just sit outside the house. ;)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 01:43:01 pm »

The Mersey has been moved fron the end of the garden to outside the workshop so that as it gets heavier it can be taken down the side of the house without having to negotiate corners!

The bilge keels have been added to complete the prop tunnels and the round holes in the stern are for fitting the dummy exhausts.

The groove up the stem has also been made. This is where the recovery strops fit ready for use. The shape was routed out and then filler added and sanded to shape, the stick with the sandpaper was made to suit the shape required.

All is now ready for the addition of the outer glass fibre skin in the next few days. ;)
True Lifeboat Nutter!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.