Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Atlantic 21 motor suggestions please  (Read 1362 times)

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
Atlantic 21 motor suggestions please
« on: June 01, 2018, 06:19:37 pm »

I've just acquired an Atlantic 21 which needs a motor. Since this model really needs to skip across the surface, I'm thinking an brushless would be ideal, but all the suggestions I can find only mention brushed motors. At 56cm long, it will need a bit of grunt too.

Can anyone suggest a suitable motor and speed controller combination?

I need to place an order with HobbyKing for some other items so it would make sense to order from there.

Power will ideally come from a NiMH set. I'm no fan of Lipos, again, suggestions for something suitable please.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Atlantic 21 motor suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 07:49:09 pm »

My thoughts, keep the Kv down to about 900 to 1000. Outrunner, about 28mm dia.  Run on a 7.2v Nimh of about 3000mAh to keep the pack weight down a bit, and load up with a fairly big prop [size=78%],[/size][/size] not too big though (35/40mm 2 blade plastic?), prop torque might be a problem with a little tiddler like the Atlantic 21.[size=78%]
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 08:28:20 pm »

My thoughts, keep the Kv down to about 900 to 1000. Outrunner, about 28mm dia.  Run on a 7.2v Nimh of about 3000mAh to keep the pack weight down a bit, and load up with a fairly big prop [size=78%],[/size] not too big though (35/40mm 2 blade plastic?), prop torque might be a problem with a little tiddler like the Atlantic 21.

cheers for that info unbuiltnautilus……….

it was exactly the info that I was going to ask myself for my rebuilt wreck...….cheers,

neil.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 08:59:42 pm »

I notice from your two photos phil that you have still retained the long prop shaft...……

luckily mine was a wreck when I bought it and the tube had broken free from the hull...it gave me the chance without doing any damage of my own to the hull to shorten the shaft and tube by about 3 inches giving me enough space to put a block of nihm's in front of the shaft/tube and motor

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 11:56:44 pm »

I ran my Atlantic 21 with a common or garden 540 motor and a pack of Ni Cads down each side, and it went very well, but..........

Trying to keep the water out through those umpteen self-tappers was a nightmare, and it sunk frequently.  :((
Regards
Kit
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.