Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11  (Read 2182 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11
« on: June 03, 2018, 08:17:06 pm »

Hi all well im totally useless at planes. I seem to be able to to a half decent job of most other genres motorcycles are my best genre but then ive always ridden them, in my early years real dogs and as i got older more pristine so I know how all ages look,but planes are my achillies heal. Well i love the look of this plane (always have)so ive decided to try it. I was going to do a custom job (to hide my rubbishness) but decided i will stick to how it should look.
Im going to build it as WZ590 No 5 flying training school, Oakington, Cambridgeshire, march 1992
I really like a lot of planes and it really irks me i cant build them so Ive decided Im going to make a concerted effort to improve, so much so that Im going to try Airfix 1/24 Typhoon after this.
No pictures tonight as we have no phone or internet and no indication of when or if we will get it back anytime soon( joys of living in the willie wags)

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
Re: Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 04:58:38 am »

It's a darn good kit, you shouldn't have any problems with it.

But as with all modern Airfix kits it pays to follow the steps in the instructions as otherwise you can find parts don't fit where they should do......
Regards
Kit

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:56:49 am »

Don't forget to add plenty of weight to the nose as she's a notorious "tail sitter".  The T 11 is a peach of a kit and I think it's one of the nicest Airfix have produced.   Although the re-tooled Provost and Gnat kits are supposed to be even better.
Could I suggest that you try a 1/48th scale kit before moving onto the 1/24th scale Typhoon which by all accounts is a "Monster".
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 09:16:47 am »

Airfix currently have an excellent publication on sale to help all scale modellers - Scale Modelling Step by Step 2nd Edition, from Key Publishing.

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECSMOD2

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 10:35:04 am »

Have you seen the typhoon kit??
I have one sitting ready to go and half of me is excited the other half dreading it
It’s a beast of a kit and you are building lots of parts you wouldn’t expect to

I just finished a 1/48 sea fury Airfix, loved doing it
And would recommend getting a few larger 1/48 kits done before trying the typhoon

I also have a 1/24 mosquito, spitfire and hurricane waiting to be done too   %%

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 11:24:56 am »

No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 05:29:09 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys yes I've seen the 1/24 typhoon it looks a great kit.
Generally speaking I build big kits so the size doesn't intimidate me I have built planes I just never seem to build a good one (at least never one I'm even remotely happy with) I'm going to try my hardest on this one and take my time with it, I just hope it turns out ok.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 07:00:48 pm »

Hi all well not to change the habit of a lifetime, all was going well, masking the front bit of the plane looked a bit tricky so I masked that bit first sprayed it, it looked ok so I masked the rest which meant masking the bit I'd just done sprayed it all looked ok then I pulled the masking tape off with a lot of the paint from the front and what's left of the paint on the front bit is mottled from wherever the masking tape touched it.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:08:23 pm »

Did you wash the parts and prime the assembly before you added the colour coats?

Tends to be essential with present day Airfix kits.
Regards
Kit

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 06:50:24 am »

I did but that can't be the reason cause the primer is still on it

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 09:11:44 am »

The paint was still too fresh.  Even low tack masking tape is still too fierce when it comes to enamels.  If I absolutely have to mask over newly painted areas (newly = within 2-3 days) I use Copydex rubber solution glue.  Painted over the area to be masked it dries to a thin rubber film that peels off easily.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 03:05:22 pm »

Thanks probably the reason was dried 24 hrs, thanks for the copydex tip.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.