Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeronaut Airmarine special (modified!) 1/6th scale  (Read 2147 times)

EJL

Aeronaut Airmarine special (modified!) 1/6th scale
« on: June 04, 2018, 12:10:57 pm »

Something different.

EJL

Re: Aeronaut Airmarine special (modified!) 1/6th scale Kneeler
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:16:54 pm »

A much modified kit by me.  Aeronaut can supply a retro outboard unit for £169! I got the one shown from a Hobby King Sale for £50 including brushless motor.! I needed to modify it to make it fit and work. A technically difficult boat to get it to run well but now it does and goes fast on a 2S 3.2 amp Lipo.  Driver doll is a modified barbie - just my warped sense of humour!
For those who don't know this boat is a kneeler and is a scale model of a famous boat from the 1950's, days before seat belts etc- just kneel down and fly at round 80mph hanging onto the steering wheel.

EJL

Re: Aeronaut Airmarine special (modified!) 1/6th scale
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:28:19 pm »

Why was it technically difficult to get it to run? well here goes!

The kit instructions directs the prop hub must be in line with the bottom of the transom- nope that causes the boat to prop walk, takes for ever to get onto the plane and spins out making it undriveable. Drop the prop down and it solved all the problems.
The original boat was designed to run with the bottom of the transom on the surface of the water at slow speeds, at intermediate speed range air being forced under the hull by air traps caused the rear to lift thus making it a three point hydroplane. I have written to Aeronaut pointing out where the prop needs to be relative to the bottom of the transom but I doubt I will get a reply.
I now have three kneelers and they are great fun.

BTW the outboards cover looks a bit of a mess, I intend to do some cosmetic work on it now I have sorted out the mods to make it fit the boat.

The driver doll is a much modified 'Barbie' made to look if its got a wet suit on. Well women used to race boats back in the day!
The motor supplied with the outboard is a 3000KV outrunner will take 3S but I don't find a need the boat is quite fast and very scale like.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 12:50:43 pm »

Nice  :-)) 

Your Barbie looks much better than the model pilot that Aeronaut use!

EJL

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 10:54:02 am »

I have had several requests for more information about the three 'kneelers' I have.
November 2018 special edition of model boats magazine has a four page feature by me about these boats. Readers of this forum wanting more information may find obtaining a copy of the magazine helpfull. I will however continue to reply to private messages asking for information/advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.