Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1960's model- auction acquired for not much- restored  (Read 3603 times)

EJL

1960's model- auction acquired for not much- restored
« on: June 04, 2018, 02:23:47 pm »

Three years ago I acquired this model at a local auction house for £30. It was in a terrible state, metal work manky, deck boards not visible, hull manky with a hole in the bottom. I spent a winter restoring it to what you see now. Now fitted with a low drain 500 motor and a sound system. My own custom made ball raced prop shaft. It steers very well forward and reverse and in fact has allowed me to win the club steering competition for the last 2 years. Why Lady Diane? my wife is called Diane Elaine and it keeps her happy!
One of our club members who knows about these things says it was produced as a kit by the company that pre dated Billings. Can anyone confirm what it is please.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1960's model- auction acquired for not much- restored
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 06:20:23 pm »

Hi nice job, she looks rather like a Lady Barbara, I think I have the plans somewhere, I will check.regards Roy

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:22:30 pm »

DMI kits 'Admiral' - see below link for a build on this wonderful website.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33247.0

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 04:26:21 pm »

Looks very like vic smeeds vivacity.modified a bit. Here is mine, also heavily modified, sunken area at rear and forward cabin with skylight.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 04:37:44 pm »

Actually now I look at it more closely, theres a good few differences. Nice model.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 05:32:30 pm »

DMI kits 'Admiral' - see below link for a build on this wonderful website.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=33247.0

Yep, DMI kits / Billing Admiral.... one of 'Bradders' favourite kit,  ( remember him! )!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 03:47:21 pm »

My Vivacity which I named Mary Jane, was sold, then the wife told me that was her favourite of all my models and I shouldnt have sold it? Anyway, long gone but I liked the lines of it and the possibility of adding as much detail as you like, I did my cabin at 1/16 scale. And I managed to re-purpose a golf trolley motor and controls, a hairdryer, and about 1000 matchsticks. The planking on deck and on the cabin and inside managed to use up a lot of scraps of 1/32 ply I had left after building nearly a hundred planes at that point. (Good bit more now!) Anyway love your boat, its beautiful. My vivacity had a 17ah battery and ran for 2 hours, the battery was 14lbs and the boat was 28lbs, it could take two of these batteries but I reckoned four hours might get a bit much. Lol. A cardboard dummy was made to hold the real one from sliding. Lighting in all cabins and stairwell, even a bar with guiness and tennants on tap and suitably seafaring deco. I think its time to make another one, I have a nice 2000 watt brushless I was going to use in my 1/5 biplane, anyone got any idea what size prop for 4 foot model, similar to these boats, I think a blend of the first one and my one would be nice too. I liked my skylight, it was attached to the cabin which lifted off as one piece. Cd cover glazing was perfect. Cheap and easier to use than glass, which I tried. Does anyone have a scan of a plan or even drawings for the first model?

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 02:59:35 am »

Definitely an Admiral and they could move when they wanted too. My old girl back in the early 1980s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.