Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

Kicking a dead dog (Equipage Riviera 80)

(1/5) > >>

Goldenstar38:
Thank you for allowing me to join your group!I recently purchased a new (but old) still in box, Equipage Riviera 80. My intent was to install some leftover RC parts I had and convert to an RC boat. I got it at a great price so it was hard to walk away from.
Trying to research this boat, I found some old posts online from 2006, but it appears this boat was not too popular for many reasons.
When I removed from the original package, a wood joint on the deck was already separating. Bad build quality or shipping around for years? So, while intend to seal the interior with epoxy, I have started to sand all the old high gloss finish off to bare wood and coat with epoxy and a very light cloth, to keep the wood appearance.Now, my main question: The white paint below the waterline and hull is in great shape. The hull appears to also be double planked. The paint is also very hard to remove. Can I safely glass the top and sides of the hull down to the waterline and repaint the hull below the waterline to seal it? Or, will the white paint need to be removed as well?
Also, as for humidity, I liveaboard a 38 foo trawler in SoCal (Marina del Rey) so it is relatively consistent. Sorry for being long winded and I appreciate any advice.

tigertiger:
I can't answer your paint question, but it might be an idea to leave your model out of the box to acclimatize for a week or so. I imagine your home has fairly high humidity, and it is possible the model's last home was dry. Things will also become a little less brittle with a little more humidity.
Just a thought.

Goldenstar38:
Thank you tigertiger!The planking separation on deck was quite wide (1/8"). When I saw this and the boat had never been out of the package nor seen water yet, and did not change after a week on display, I decided to sand off whatever sealer the factory use and epoxy. Even if the gap closed, it was still there and I didn't want any water intrusion later.I'll keep searching about the bottom paint issue.Thanks again.

derekwarner:
As they say,........a picture or 2 is worth a thousand words   %) .....will also help & better understand your issue.....

A few years back, we had a similar story on a Asian build display speed boat.....[could have been a Riviera?] have you used the search facility?

Derek

Goldenstar38:
Hello Derek.
Thank you for the reply.I can try and post a couple of pictures tomorrow. A bit dark here tonight. All they may show is my now sanded decks and I started on the hull sides after work.I did some online research over the weekend. Most posts were from Australian builders. But no, I am new on this site and will need to investigate the search facility here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version