Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adhesive for bonding wood to GRP hull.  (Read 9934 times)

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Adhesive for bonding wood to GRP hull.
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 03:40:19 pm »

Good Morning

I've been using this epoxy mix for a number of years and had good results with it. Another model builder had been using it and found it works well.

Not sure where you might find the product in the UK but sold over here in both hardware stores and the building material supply yards.

https://www.pcepoxy.com/products/permanent-repair/pc-11-paste-epoxy/

Comes in both the dispenser type tubes and also in small cups and you can mix it. Sands well after it has dried.

Merry Christmas!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 04:25:02 pm »

I use adhesives used in the building industry with good results. Some of the traditional glues we have used over the years have now been superseded by  newer products on the market but you makes your choice. Never used Gorilla glue but I seems to have good feedback.

Stan

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2018, 09:08:00 pm »

Neil I am very surprised at what you have said about Gorrilla glue as Ive been using this for a couple of years....YES of course the Brown Gorilla glue is a right so and so as it expands but their Pva is darned good and also both the superglue's...once it's on it is on
Dave

sorry dave but just my opinion...

the brown bubbly stuff activated by moistire has never worked for me, even when clamping, and it takes longer to clean off excess than  the gluing time...…….thus wasting twice the time...……….and TBH  it doesn't resist knocks such as dropping your hull on the floor due to clumsiness.

the white pva I have found, although good sticking power takes too long to set compared with a good aliphatic.

the superglue sticks fingers instantly and not even my cyano release liquid will help, but once set is very brittleand the slitest knock just shatters the glue line and the thing glued falls apart.....

as for the duct tape......I have used numerous duct tapes that will adhere to my silicon moulds for casting fittings when I have got fittings too close to the edge of a mould, and the tape has always stuck to the silicon...……...gorilla duct tape just don't cut it...…..it sticks to itself admirably, to admirably that it leaves half its stickiness to the next layer down, but to timber and silicon and for any other target that I can think I have used it on...….I get better sticking bower from a roll of cellotape…….

i'll never buy the stuff again in any form.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2018, 11:05:13 pm »

Just like speed controllers each one will have its good points and bad points. Sadly this applies to the glues we use. We could discuss for ever more we all have our own personal choice you pays your money and make your choice.

Stan.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.