Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Sealight puffer build  (Read 21213 times)

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Another Sealight puffer build
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2018, 12:54:06 pm »

I have missed your last couple of posts for some reason.  However, you have to remember that when building a Mountfleet model that  are not meant to be "accurate" scale models of an individual vessel, more of a representation of the that vessel and it is up to the builder to put their own interpretation into it.
Artistic License. Oh yes, very much so! Wash Ports, I used the ones in the kit, but left a small gap at the bottom for drainage; I think your hinges will eventually size up but a good idea nonetheless.
The bottle screws on the mast are indeed a weak point and it's something I have to attend to.
The blocks are Ok but the holes need to be opened up using a small drill in a hand vice, lubricated by white spirit.  I've never used the "rope" in the kit as I have some scale rope, for the standing rigging I use black carpet type thread which can be found in most haberdashers shops. The treads should of course be pulled through the block of bees wax supplied, before installing.
I found some pictures of the Sealight in the scrapyard at Troon and it was obvious that the bridge structure was not high enough, so I've increased height by around 10% or so.
I've attached some pictures of the Franks workshop model and my example.
A very nice model of that schooner BTW.
LB

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2018, 12:58:03 pm »

Mine.
LB

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2018, 02:28:16 pm »

Or make a metal lum and use smoke pellets for real smoke,  but only grey or white >:-o that I know of but lots of it.
..well can you land on this?

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 05:35:04 pm »

Hi Liverbudgie;
Thanks for the pics of your Sealight- definitely looks nearer the real thing, and a super model.
Today I have ben fixing the first frames to the bulwarks, and found out that if you follow the spacing shown on the kit drawing, the frames come  in the middle of the wash ports!

Not the most straightforward of builds, but fun sorting out the discrepancies.
Where did you find the pics of Sealight at the breakers? I've only found about five photos so far on line.
Phil

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 06:50:15 pm »

Phil,

Here is a link: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clyde+puffer+sealight&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=gZmCe-HczTUuCM%253A%252CKpRhMZlvruF9KM%252C_&usg=__AVqIRpRfZDIAKpHHRAspPYpAzvM%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ_8TJ6OfbAhUKXhQKHfgkBAUQ9QEIWzAB#imgrc=_&spf=1529689274427

If you scroll through you will find some shots of her, one of which is new too me as well as shows her with an open bridge.

The answer to the framing problem is to move the wash ports about until they match. BTW the black thread is Linen tread, couldn't think of the name before.

LB

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 09:04:40 am »

Thanks, LB; I had printed off all the ones that Google comes up with.
The one with the open bridge I thought at first might be the very similar Sealight 1, of 1907 (p. 52 0f 'Light in the Glens', by Len Paterson) but although she had an open bridge, she had both the engine room vents the same height.
There is also a good photo of the 1930 Sealight on p. 2 of  'Puffers', by Guthrie Hutton.
As I had already filed out the wash ports, the frames got shuffled a bit, but look OK.  I suspect that the drawing does not show the correct frame spacing anyway. Pity Frank didn't make the handed sets of frames mentioned in the instructions.
One side done; I'll post a pic when the capping is on.
Phil

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2018, 02:02:15 pm »

Bulwark framing completed one side- now to see if I can make a match with the starboard side. I replaced the shroud plates with brass, and will fix the brass bottle screws to them with 16BA brass bolts.
I have also had a go at making the wash port covers hinged like full size; the left hand hinge got a bit off-centre. Must do better with the next ten hinges!

One thing is niggling- the top of the bow should have a very shallow curve, rather than the straight line and more sudden curve of the kit hull. I think I might leave it, as adding a bit may not be very strong- there is no capping at this point.

I tried hard to get the bulwark capping fairing in to the bow stringer.
Phil

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 05:38:41 pm »

Sorry to but in, a Puffer looks a completely different beats when down to the Plimsoll / full water line!    :o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

PetrOs

• Shipmate
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 08:39:04 am »

Great thing! I am in final preparations phase for Sealight build! Planning my electronics now.

For smoke generator - I am going to use this idea in my build
 http://www.wicksteedparkmbc.com/smoke-generator.html

Just a few euros. I got all components here by now, and made a test run - works wonders. With Arduino and a PowerMosfet, I can control the RPM of the blower fan proportionally to the speed setting.

I am also in progress of designing my own board computer for the Sealight, based on Orange Pi. Sound management (Steam engine sound prop to speed, radio effect with different sound tracks from the late 30es, horn, background sounds like seagulls, captain orders and crew's "Aye Aye" when doing some actions), pump management (sensor driven "rescue pump" and a bilge water effect pump proportional to speed), maybe also taking over the steam engine, and also adding unlimited extra channels by using LORA network module (and LORA-Equipped Arduino Mega as sender for those extra channels)

Camera installation is now also being tested on my other boat, Aquacraft Bristol Trawler

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 08:20:05 pm »

A bit more progress; although the deck has a bit of camber, it's not very noticeable.
I have decided not to bother detailing the hatch boards, as they will all be under the tarpaulin. I can't see the logic of having the tarp and a few boards off if the ship is going to be under way.
The motor, radio and other gear have now arrived, so the next job is to work out the installation. The 6v battery weighs about 2kg; does anyone know the total weight of ballast to bring her down to her lines? I suspect quite a lot!

PetrOs

• Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2018, 08:40:33 pm »

My measurement was around 8 kilograms... depends alot how deep you want her down...

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2018, 08:44:02 pm »

Many thanks, Petros.
I will have to start scrounging a bit more scrap lead!

PetrOs

• Shipmate
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2018, 08:53:13 pm »

I picked 10kg lead from ebay from a shooting stand owner (melted down bullets ;) ) for my build. Bars of around 20cm x 3cm x 1.5cm, between 980g and 1020g. For my previous build, I sourced lead from the car repair shop, 12 kilograms of used tyre weights.

In my build, which is still in planning, I aim to put a rail and tray system. T-nut rail guide would be glued in (a 5-rail aluminium curtain rail cut to length, around 10 cm wide, sourced from the junkyard, takes an M8 nut or a regular t-nut piece), and electronic tray, lead battery (I got 12V 12 Ah one), and lead bars would be trayed and then screwed on the rail. This way, I can easily trim the things, and also change trim any time I wish.   

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2018, 10:27:37 am »

May I suggest using gold instead of lead. It may be a wee tad more expensive, but on the plus side it needs considerably less room inside your hull due to its massive density, allowing for a lower mass centre  :}
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

PetrOs

• Shipmate
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2018, 10:57:00 am »

Gold, hmm - it would be a treasure ship! If someone builds a pirate ship - you are in trouble.

Better to use plutonium or so, much more weight, and EVERYONE would keep far away

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2018, 06:09:09 pm »

A few more hours, a bit of progress.
I will be fitting the tarpaulin hatch cover, so I haven't bothered detailing the hatch boards. Photos of full size puffers do not seem to show bumps for the lifting rings below the tarps, so I won't bother with them either.
I presume tarpaulins were made up from narrower strips sewn together- anyone know the likely width?
Next step is making support frames for the motor, servo and battery, however I think I will try and get my 1926 car running again over the coming week.
Too many toys, too many projects!

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2018, 08:12:27 pm »

possibly a yard/metre wide. nemesis

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2018, 08:22:29 pm »

Could be 54 inch wide. Friend of mine had a chandlery firm and the size of his sewing machine was rather large, all for sewing tarps. nemesis

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2018, 08:46:21 pm »

PM sent. nemesis

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2018, 02:00:15 pm »

Had another go at that wash port cover- I wasn't happy with one of the hinges.
I had a right struggle, as I have no low-melt solder for soldering white metal, and kept melting bits.
A bit better now- it will have to do.
 I will have to be more accurate with the next five.

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2018, 10:16:45 pm »

Hi Phil
Surprized you tried soldering small white metal bits!
My Puffer is 32 scale and has slightly different washport covers which were meant to be just glued on, so my technique using bits of stainless steel (from hypodermic needles) epoxied in place won't be any help to you - but might give you some food for thought.Here's the link
 « Reply #210 on: 05-04-2013, 20:10:57 »
While Photobucket have relented (briefly) the pictures can be seen but not videos.
Ironically I have not bothered (as yet!) to fit the covers over the ports.
Because of the Photobucket fiasco, I have abandoned adding to my build log - but you must keep up with yours, it's proving really interesting already!
Regards,             Mike

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2018, 04:22:53 pm »

Getting ready to fix the motor in- now where did I put those 6 BA nuts and bolts?

One worry- I am using the kit rudder, which is white metal. I have replaced the bottom pivot with a brass rod; at the moment I will be retaining the top rudder shaft. In addition to the grubscrew, I intend to cyano the bellcrank to the shaft. As it will be difficult to access this once the quarter deck is fixed, I am worried that a knock or two on the rudder may shear the shaft, and leave me with a big problem.

What have you other builders done, please?

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2018, 08:13:18 am »

In addition to the grubscrew, I intend to cyano the bellcrank to the shaft. As it will be difficult to access this once the quarter deck is fixed, I am worried that a knock or two on the rudder may shear the shaft, and leave me with a big problem.

What have you other builders done, please?

That's essentially what I would do. My rudder linkage is scantly accessible by way of a small opening. This is why I didn't glue the bellcrank but I did use some loctite to secure the grubscrew as you may or may not see here.
If you're gonna use glue, just be sure to use an appropriate glue for the materials and use a clean cloth with ethanol to free the parts from dust and oil before applying the glue.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2018, 02:37:39 pm »

I think I will be using a thinner wire for the rudder pushrod, with an omega shape in the middle to give it some springiness- that way, if the rudder gets knocked, there is not so much force on the shaft.
Spent yesterday casting the first 2kg piece of ballast- will need about another 4kg.
Today I have planked up the foredeck; the winch base is just tack glued, and I will remove it to paint it.
I am waiting for some 6BA bolts before I can mount the motor- I had a box full of all sorts of small bolts, but I haven't seen it since I moved 12 years ago. Must pop over to the mainland and see if I can get some suitable paints too. The planking will eventually be weathered down a bit.
Phil

birlinn

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old git in a garage
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2018, 04:57:21 pm »

First bits of the wheelhouse; the kit pieces are rather inaccurate, as the windows are far too small.
I don't think I will get anywhere Banjoman's standards- it rather depressed me to look at perfection!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.