Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Art, Science, or something else?  (Read 1365 times)

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Art, Science, or something else?
« on: June 16, 2018, 05:17:21 pm »

Working with my first, "proper" model boat and much enjoying it. Recently converted to brushless (with much help and support from forum members, thank you very much)
I would like to find the optimum prop size and I like the idea of a balanced alloy prop, but don't want to commit to the expense until satisfied about size and pitch. Boat is Dumas Chris Craft 1930 Runabout 36" and my choice is limited by the boat having a 3/16" shaft, currently using a dog drive
While still running the original MFA Torpedo I changed the standard Dumas prop to a Graupner plastic 42X and performance improved significantly.
Yesterday I took delivery of a non-contact tacho and thermometer (£20 the pair)
So today I set out to start learning.
The first lesson was that the female of the species was right, there is, indeed no fool like an old fool, as the attached photo will show.
Motor is Turnigy 3648 1450, 120a ESC, 3s lipo showing 12.6v
I ran it at full throttle for 5 mins with shaft and prop out of water, rpm was steady at 18170 motor temp went up from 25c to 38c
Then, with the assistance of William Shakespeare, I ran it in water for 5mins, rpm was 11900/12000 (fluctuating with my less steady hand and a little movement of the boat) motor temp went to 40c Battery, ESC and Receiver all stayed at 25c no apparent hot spots on cable and battery connections.
One question is, "if the boat had been free to run, would the rpm have risen significantly?
I will be back on the lake tomorrow to give her a more informed run and look at how she handles.
All comments welcome.   

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Art, Science, or something else?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 05:21:54 pm »

How did you get the water back into the bath?  :}
Colin

Hotglove

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 05:53:19 pm »

Hi Colin
I was a bit concerned about that, but it was really sweet, as you can imagine, a coarse pitch prop running at 12000rpm moves a lot of water, but it just rolled around like a lazy river ride.
Ian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 08:15:29 pm »

Lucky you! Many, many years ago, the only time I got my ED Seagull diesel in an Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat to fire up properly with the back of the boat in the kitchen sink it emptied the bowl in seconds. My Mother was not pleased!
Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.