Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/12 Severn sculpting the rubber fender  (Read 1943 times)

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
1/12 Severn sculpting the rubber fender
« on: June 16, 2018, 09:38:46 pm »

I am sticking on the rubber fender and it has gone ok but my last job is  the bit that sweeps down next to the steps. I am cutting the downward curved bit to blend into the long fender running all along the sides. At the moment I am  "whittling" it and maybe thats what has to be done but does anyone have any better advice?

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/12 Severn sculpting the rubber fender
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 02:16:16 pm »

This is a system I have used, make a pattern of the section you want, when happy, make a mould. Then use copydex / latex rubber in thin layers. After a couple of layers you can use gauze to reinforce before going on to fill the mould, as before, thin layers. You can colour latex as well. Bill Carpenter

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 02:31:20 pm »

Thanks Bill. I know from previous correspondence that you are an expert at moulding but I dont think I would be likely to master the process for this one time  requirement. 
Does anyone know how car body filler would work with the rubber fender material. If it does work it might be my "go to" to smooth and recontour imperfections at the blend area.Les

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 05:56:01 pm »

Well I kept fiddling trying to make progress and I found that a grinding stone in the Dremel removed the rubber in a controlable way.  I was able to  shape the end requiring blending so that on its end it is little more than a skin  that can be glued over the other fender. If you use this method, have a vacuum cleaner at hand. The black dust gets over everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.