Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Engineering Techniques and Materials.

Stainless steel ?

(1/8) > >>

Martin (Admin):

Question: Can you soft solder thin stainless steel?

Baldrick:
Yes ...  https://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=150

derekwarner:
Baldrick.......all of the words suggest YES, however they do not qualify joint thicknesses or lengths

Our member Hammer or RGY has just soft soldered a carbon [galvanised?] steel plated hull...I would be interested to hear his thoughts {:-{ on soft soldering a 316 Grade plated hull

Baldrick:

--- Quote from: derekwarner_decoy on June 17, 2018, 03:41:24 am ---Baldrick.......all of the words suggest YES, however they do not qualify joint thicknesses or lengths

Our member Hammer or RGY has just soft soldered a carbon [galvanised?] steel plated hull...I would be interested to hear his thoughts {:-{ on soft soldering a 316 Grade plated hull

--- End quote ---

If the plates are galvanised it means they are zinc coated and zinc is very easy to solder . Watering cans have been made of the stuff since time immemorial with soldered seams. Best way is to lap seam, tin both mating faces and then run a hot iron down feeding some electricians solder in using capillary attraction.
 Perhaps our member used old baked bean tins for his plates which are tin coated (unless they are the aluminium ones). Tin of course is one of the constituent elements of solder so easy to work .

Martin (Admin):

Found this on Utube .... Hmmmm, not the best craftsmanship I've even seen...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version