Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hood  (Read 2208 times)

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Hood
« on: June 17, 2018, 07:36:01 am »

I have just been given a 1/96 scale of this iconic ship. It is mostly complete bar the fittings. What I am wanting is some plans (any scale as I can get altered to 1/96) showing plan and profile views so I can place the fittings correctly. I have the book Anatomy of the ship on her. I will be using as many as possible from John Haynes. Any help much appreciated.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: HMS Hood
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 07:58:25 am »

Please stick some photos up - I'm sure lots of people on here (including me) would love to see it!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 08:06:48 pm »

What period is the kit designed for? She had several refits and upgrades to armament plus some of the 5.5inch guns were removed at one point, and there was a projected modernisation (frustrated by the war's start and subsequent sinking by Bismark) where the current thinking is that she would get a new tower, twin 4.5inch turrets and aircraft handling systems like her cousin Renown.

BFGStew is building one as well, so it will be interesting to compare notes and see yet more battleships in miniature  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 06:09:50 am »

Looking at the model and my Anatomy of Ships book I think they were trying for 1939/40. So will run with that. I will need to do some alterations to the deck and superstructure lay out as when it was built in 1970 I do not think there was the details we can get today available.

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 01:19:32 pm »

A few photos as requested.

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 01:20:34 pm »

Some more

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 01:21:16 pm »

Last few

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 09:01:57 pm »

Oh she is a god sound basis for some serious detailing Kiwi! Even the addition of some blast bags on those turrets will make her look 50% better. The bridge structure looks crisp and ready for lots of gubbins  :-))

She ain't arf big though %% ok2
Pond weed is your enemy

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 09:29:42 pm »

Big. About 2.6m long. made from wood. No ballast and now weighs about 15kg.
I think once I get some good plans I will need to alter some parts. Mainly the gun tubs on the aft area of level 2.
The port holes in the superstructure are also too big. These will need altering as well. I will have to compromise on some areas if out of scale. But I do not want to rebuild the superstructure. Add some John Haynes fittings and brass work. She should come up to a reasonable model. Time will tell.
Just need to get some plans now.

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 09:45:55 pm »

I started building a HMS Hood around 1970 using this plan from the old MAP but still available via Sarik:

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/hms-hood-mm672/

This gives Hood as she was I the mid 1930s though with lots of 5.5" guns on each side while your model looks to have been intended to more like how she was when she sank.

As I remember there was very little else on Hood generally available then apart from the Warship Profile but the drawings in that are a lot smaller

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 09:28:24 am »

Looks a great base to work with - but so naked!

You might want to invest in a 3d printer as buying each of the detail parts to cover this ship may financially cripple you.

kiwi96

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 09:54:28 am »

Haha. I know. I did get two small boxes of fittings. Ships boats etc. Have not had a look yet. But to do it justice and make it look the part then expense is not an issue. I have used Johns fittings on all my ships and love the detail as well as his great personal service.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 01:38:09 pm »

As an observation the 15" gun barrels may need to be thickened up as in real life they were quite chunky. Have you seen the "Kagero" 3D books - they do one on Hood which I think is still available. Lots of computer generated on board views - about £25 if I recall or in that region.

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.