Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Varifocals  (Read 3342 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Varifocals
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 08:27:58 am »

Dave,

Specsavers do not assess whether you are fit to drive on behalf of the DVLA. They forward the test results on to the DVLA's doctors who actually make the decision although you have the right of appeal with help from your own doctor to challenge it.

It is not your doctor's responsibility to inform the DVLA, it is yours if he tells you to do so. If you don't you will automatically invalidate your car insurance.

With my initial practice run they gave me a printout which I was able to check against the DVLA criteria for passing which is published on their website. When I took the 'official' test Specsavers let me see the result but stressed that it was not for them to interpret it although it was pretty obvious it was OK. You can have three goes including with and without glasses.

I completely agree with you that there are too many people who continue to drive when they should not but of course the problem is that it can result in a huge loss of freedom for them so they won't acknowlege it.

Colin

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 09:21:29 am »

A side note about reactolight/transitions lenses. All the ones I have seen only react to direct sunlight. If you are wearing a brimmed hat they do not react as much. A few weeks ago I was marking up over 40 pine boards for cutting, whilst outside. I was going snow blind before I could finish. I have now bought colored safety glasses to wear over the top of my specs when working in the sun, as I always wear a hat.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 10:41:31 am »

Fair enough Colin it was more the At 70 that got me I  presume  you  only recently had this done and were not one of the 600  poor sods that lost their licence needlessly  not specsavers error

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/oct/17/motorists-banned-dvla-eyesight-test-faulty-equipment

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 11:39:38 am »

Jaymac,
I took the test in February. Yes, I had picked up on the shambles with the incorrectly set equipment, a real disgrace. That was one reason I checked out everything in detail before sending my licence in. I didn't want to get caught up in some administrative cockup with so much at stake. It was worth doing the dummy run as a lot of people had said they were nervous about what to expect with the visual field test and as a result tended to make too many positives which lowered their overall score. Knowing what to expect made the whole thing a lot more comfortable and I actually did slightly better on the real test.
I'm not altogether happy with the way they do these things but in practice you just have accept it and ensure you get the best possible result within the rules.
Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 12:10:34 pm »

In the UK I used an independent optician, lovely people. I bought reading and long distance glasses from them, then changed to varifocals which like many have said, caused nausea. I just couldn't change from one view to the other without the world going crazy.

Over here in Spain we use Specsavers (yep they like carphone warehouse get everywhere!) my first eyetest they wanted to know why I wanted specs for long distance, 'there really is nothing too much to worry about' I mentioned that when I was driving I can see road signs half a kilometre away but the wording on them was blurred until I got much closer - usually too close to act on the information given. But with the glasses I had there was no problem.

So they were happy to give me them and a second pair for reading which I did need. Interesting that their orders are sent to the UK for dispensing and are returned back to Spain within 10 days - similar turnaround to buying in the UK.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 12:57:20 pm »

Colin good    yes it was a shambles re peripheral vision it is surprising when after cataract removal and you go without glasses via implants how wider it is not withstanding my removal was only for a very slight double vision working on charts on the PC . Expensive  and a gamble as no assurance it was the cataracts causing it but it was
Jay

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 01:12:27 pm »

well ive got them, got them on in fact..going to wear them around the house for a couple of days before i drive anywhere...but so far so good  :-))
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.