Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the SS UNITED STATES  (Read 2729 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Building the SS UNITED STATES
« on: June 24, 2018, 05:33:16 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building the SS UNITED STATES
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 06:43:50 pm »

A pretty amazing model although it appears that it ended up as a static non working one. The only criticism that comes to mind is that the photos seem to show the funnels with too much rake but that may just be a trick of the lens.
The SS United States is a beautiful ship and still exists although she is now a gutted hulk. Her extraordinary speed was down to her being fitted with the same power plant as the giant US aircraft carriers of the day. When in port it was necessary to keep the props slowly turning all the time to keep the machinery in good order.
You will note that there are no wooden decks. The designer intended to make the ship 100% fireproof and the only wood on board was reputedly the Steinway piano and the butcher's chopping block.
Her public rooms were not of the same height as her contemporaries as she was basically designed and financed as a troopship for use in time of war following the Americans taking note of just how weffective the two Cunard Queens were in that capacity during WW2.

I did see her more than once in the Solent at at Southampton and admired her lovely lines.
Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.