Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Type 26 for Oz  (Read 2822 times)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Type 26 for Oz
« on: June 29, 2018, 12:21:51 am »

From the BBC news I see that Australia is to build their own Type 26's in Adelaide.   I wonder if APS Models do a hull?

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Type 26 for Oz
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 12:58:52 am »

If they want bad welding, dangerous electrics and bolts cyano'ed to the bulkheads though, they will have to get Scotland to build them %)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 02:08:19 am »

Looking from the outside in....this is good news for Australia...we have recent experiences with two Spanish built vessels that unfortunately spend the majority of the time moored alongside at Garden Island ......as they haven't yet figured out how to start the engines [& stop them doing an Auto Shutdown  >>:-( ]

Will the suite of Warfare Systems & Components be watered down from the as designed BAE from UK to American software systems & hardware systems that can communicate with our current Collins [Kockumms] Class & future French design submarines & Anzac Class Frigates? ......and will the gas turbine engines be the Olympus variety from UK.......or the ever reliable American GE LM2500 that were on the Drawing Board for the UK Type 23 build?

Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 02:39:52 am »

Derek,

You forgot full compatibility with the USN, after all we are the 53rd ?? State of the US, compliments of John Howard, Malcolm is still following in his footsteps, when he was officially appointed US sheriff. 8) 8) 8)

{-) {-) {-) %% %% %%
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 03:03:22 am »

Yes RAAArtyGunner ...you are absolutely correct in needing to maintain cross compatibly with US communications :-))

We must remember the Lord Warden of the British Sinque Ports [our PM Menzies] favoured British war equipment's........was there not a Labour PM [Hawke or & Hayden] who developed our closer military ties with the US? ....then little Johnny just sensibly followed along

Our cross compatibly with US communications was electrifying when one of our British built Oberon Class submarines [with US software] penetrated the defence ring of US Frigates. Destroyers, Anti-Submarine vessels etc guarding the Big E

It was off the West Australian coast [1987?] where we were part taking in a RIMPAC exercise with the US......and our Oberon took a periscope image of our torpedo cross-hairs  :o within range and directly against the Carrier

The image made it to the front page of the West Australian newspaper....however this evidently embarrassed Kim Beazley [Kimbo] who was the Minister for Defence...as the image was withdrawn the next day & never to be reprinted again

[it appears that all is forgotten in love & war as many years later the same Kimbo was appointed as our OZ junket attaché in America for 10 years ;D]

When we think about it, the Malaysian Navy, Singaporean Navy & a few others all have cross compatibly with US communications ..so why not maintain this status?

[on a different track, it was said that Kimbo had an image of me in his Parliamentary Office in Canberra with cross-hairs  :o against me.....but that is years ago and another set of [2] stories] 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 06:08:30 am »

From the BBC news I see that Australia is to build their own Type 26's in Adelaide.   I wonder if APS Models do a hull?

No but Tim Amos possibly will. Al is retired
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.