Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Rother Class Lifeboat "RNLB Duke of Kent"  (Read 29601 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
Rother Class Lifeboat "RNLB Duke of Kent"
« on: July 01, 2018, 09:00:42 pm »

Hello fellow Forum Peeps, hope you are all ok. It's got a lot quieter here recently - has everyone gone over to the Facebook Groups now? As good as they are, I still think you can't beat a Forum Build Thread if you want to keep track of what's been done.
Anyway, this is my latest project, a 1/15 scale, Plank On Frame model of the Rother Class Lifeboat that was stationed at Eastbourne from 1979 until 1992, when she was replaced by a Mersey Class. She was one of 3 Beach Launched Rother Class Lifeboats. She was kept in a Boathouse, and launched by a team of shore crew pulling her out of the shed and onto the slipway, until gravity took over. With sufficient depth of water, she would launch with a spectacular splash.
The keel was laminated from several pieces of ply, as the section varies in thickness along the length. The Ribs are 4mm ply, and the stringers are Obechi. I've just had a very speedy delivery of Lime Planks from SLEC, ready for when I start the planking.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rother Class Lifeboat "RNLB Duke of Kent"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 10:33:43 pm »

Looking good Charlie :-)).......the Green has superior water resistant qualities over the Red  %) ... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 11:29:56 pm »

oh, something nice to watch for a change, Charlie...…….

the framing looks wonderful. are you going to do it longitudinal or double diagonal planking...…..like the old girls were when built?

and my final question for tonight...………..it sure looks bigger than 1;15 scale or was that a slip of the finger.

look forward to this one immensely.

neil.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 09:32:40 am »

Hi Derek,
You spotted the Red Titebond lurking in the background - well done :-)  However you have jumped to the wrong conclusion <*<
I've got a whole bunch of Adhesives on my bench, but i didn't use the Titebond for this build. I initially used Gorilla Glue, but found this created too much foam. I then switched to Gorilla Wood Glue, but i am now using the Aliphatic. I might add a bottle of the Green Titebond to my collection though :-))  After all, you can never have enough glue! :}

Hi Neil,
There was no finger slippage, scale is deffo 1:15, giving the perfect model length of 30"
I had planned to go for proper double diagonal planking, but i'm having second thoughts now. Last time i tried this, the hull finish ended up rather bumpy. So i was thinking of laying the first layer longitudinally, to smooth the lines out, and then add a layer of diagonal planking on top. What do you think?

Charlie

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 09:53:40 pm »

Hi Derek,
You spotted the Red Titebond lurking in the background - well done :-)  However you have jumped to the wrong conclusion <*<
I've got a whole bunch of Adhesives on my bench, but i didn't use the Titebond for this build. I initially used Gorilla Glue, but found this created too much foam. I then switched to Gorilla Wood Glue, but i am now using the Aliphatic. I might add a bottle of the Green Titebond to my collection though :-))  After all, you can never have enough glue! :}

Hi Neil,
There was no finger slippage, scale is deffo 1:15, giving the perfect model length of 30"
I had planned to go for proper double diagonal planking, but i'm having second thoughts now. Last time i tried this, the hull finish ended up rather bumpy. So i was thinking of laying the first layer longitudinally, to smooth the lines out, and then add a layer of diagonal planking on top. What do you think?

Charlie

I have never double diagonal planked but have done similar to what you have described in your planning and it worked for me, and gave a very smooth finish....and it gave super strength to the hull.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 10:42:04 pm »

Nothing more satisfying than double diagonal planking as you can see the effect on the inside of the boat. :-))
Lay the first diagonal layer using 1/16th thick planks and then correct the shape by sanding and filling this layer just as the original builders did. Then glue the calico layer onto the hull and plank, again 1/16th thick, in the opposite direction, shaping the planks carefully as you go.
There is no finer feeling than doing the job correctly as the hull is strong but still flexible :-)) :-)) :-))
That's how I build my older boats.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11346.0.html

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 11:36:37 pm »

There is no finer feeling than doing the job correctly as the hull is strong but still flexible :-)) :-)) :-))
That's how I build my older boats.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11346.0.html

and what a beautiful job you make of them too, mike.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 11:20:59 am »

Thanks for the advice chaps. I think i will cogitate on this for a while!

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 02:20:26 pm »

Hi
Have you tried Gorilla clear? I am using it on my MMM Lady "T" and so far I am very happy with it.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 03:32:40 pm »

That looks like some good stuff Fred. It does state "Water-Resistant (can withstand intermittent exposure)" on the spec sheet. How waterproof have you found it to be in your experience?

Charlie

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 09:17:16 pm »

I think gorilla glue is vastly over rated and dearer than most glues..

I've tried the bubbly stuff...….no sticking power, the superglue...twice as potent on my sinuses, sticks fingers great but other materials including wood not so well, and takes longer to grab and set than Loctite at a 1/3 the price, tried the white wood glue.....takes ages to grab and set and no where near as good as aliphatic resin, and the gorilla duct tape is next to useless except for sticking to itself....

there are far better glues and adhesives on the market for less price and longer shelf life, and I have tried many...…..

in fact the old powder and water but waterproof Cascamite glue is better than gorilla white, only problem is it takes 24 hours under clamped conditions to cure lol. >>:-( >:-o

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 08:30:24 am »

Charlie, I have Duke of Kent too, mine is 1/8th scale. I would post some pictures but can never seem to manage to get them on here.
Not sure if you know but the real Duke has returned to Eastbourne, and in the process of being restored.
They brought her home last year in a very sorry state.
I have loads of pictures of her, inside and out.
Ian

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 10:01:41 am »

Hi Ian,
A 1/8th scale Rother must be quite a beast. Please feel free to post a picture in this thread if you can. I love the Rother's, i think it was seeing the Duke of Kent at Eastbourne that got me interested in Lifeboats in the first place. There was a thread here on Mayhem about someone else who was also building a 1/8th Rother - this wouldn't be the same boat, would it? There can't be many built to this scale.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38286.msg382488.html#msg382488

I have been back down to Eastbourne to see the Duke of Kent this year. She does look a bit sorry for herself, as a result of being left to rot on a quay up in Scotland for years. Hopefully the restoration goes well, and she will be back to her previous condition. I have only got photos from ground level though. Presumably you went onboard? Any photos you have of her taken from onboard would be really useful. There is a Facebook page with some photos of the restoration in progress, which makes for interesting viewing.

https://www.facebook.com/williamallchorn/?ref=gs&fref=gs&hc_location=group

Charlie

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 05:01:13 pm »

Yep that's her Charlie, I notice Russell said it's approx 30 years old, and that was in 2012 lol. Just  shows how good the original builder was if she's still going strong.
I have completely stripped it down and re-sprayed  it so now is the Duke of Kent. Mainly because the real one is about 10 minutes drive from me so I could get lots of pics.
this evening
I'll see if I can load some pictures this evening, if not I could email you the pictures of the real one.

Ian

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 05:42:28 pm »

Hi Ian,

I just sent you a PM with my email address. If you cannot upload the photos, email them to me and i will upload them here.

Here are a few photos of the full size boat, in her current state, which i took during my last visit to Eastbourne.

Charlie

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 06:55:25 pm »

That looks like some good stuff Fred. It does state "Water-Resistant (can withstand intermittent exposure)" on the spec sheet. How waterproof have you found it to be in your experience?

Charlie

Hi
So far I am very happy with it, as I am s++t at carpentry all the wood work that I have done are butt joints with a small triangle under the joint, just to see how strong the joints are I put a 4klo weigh on them with no braking so far.

As for water proof I will see when I get to the deck housing,

All the best

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 07:00:07 pm »

I managed to get a look around Duke of Kent when it was at Tayport. A few photo's might be of interest to you
https://www.flickr.com/photos/26465928@N02/albums/72157695526161792
Richie

IanPal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 09:06:13 pm »

I've sent you some pics Charlie, a few of the inside might be of some help.

That keep off sign doesn't really work, there's been a couple of evenings already where the local youth decided to break in to it. The first time the decks were still pretty rotten, only problem was none of them fell through.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 10:25:31 pm »

is this the Rother that is for sale and has been for some years now but at a ridiculously high price......something like around 15 grand, but the chap won't take a penny less..

what price for match wood and kindling,

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 11:29:55 am »

Ian – many thanks for the photos you sent to me. I have uploaded a few of your fantastic 1/8th Scale Rother – what a beauty! Do you sail her on Princes Park lake by any chance? I would love to see her afloat one day.
Fred – Thanks for the info about the Gorilla Glue. I probably have enough Glues of various types to last me for a while now, but I might try that one in the future.
Richie – Thanks for those photos, there are some excellent shots of the various fittings that will be most useful when I get that far with my build. Your pics were taken in 2003, a decade after she had been sold out of service, and although in better condition that she is now, you can see the Plywood Decks beginning to rot. And to think she was basically left like that for another 15 years before being saved!
Neil – I don’t know if this is the same boat you are referring to, or not. She’s certainly not for sale any more. I have heard that there is another Rother in similar condition, located in Denmark, which has been for sale for some time, possibly with too high an asking price as well. I think I saw that one the Historic Lifeboats Facebook Group.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 03:54:10 pm »

Ok, that's enough cogitating, lets get Planking %%
First plank is on. I've a feeling this could take a while to complete.....

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 04:08:37 pm »

This is why you cant beat a forum, a build to get your teeth into.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 09:44:42 pm »

Charlie - following my post in Beginners I shall be following this build with great interest and making copious notes!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 10:09:38 pm »

Welcome aboard Chris :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 11:03:43 pm »

The inside running astern  O0....will be watching on Charlie.......if you have not yet purchased these, a set of temporary planking screw in pins will certainly be of use in tight spots  :-))..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.