The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

What type & what rigging

(1/4) > >>

martinthefirst:
I have had this model 60 years, it was found in a house my parents bought from a ships carpenter. I have always wanted to attach some rigging but have no idea what type of vessel it is or the appropriate sail configuration . Can someone advise? Thanks.

tigertiger:
Without seeing it in detail, I would guess it was gaff rigged.
both of the booms are for the mainsail, top and bottom.
You have have had a bowsprit fitted, the skinny one, and it looks like it pushes into the bow. the foresail would be run up the forestay from the bow to the mast. On the bowsprit there would also have been a jib, like in the picture.

Brian60:
This suggests a Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter I include a couple of drawings. There is plenty of info available on Google is you search for that term. Also a Facebook page dedicated to Bristol channel pilot cutters (yes I'm on there as well)

tigertiger:
Looking at your photo, your standing rigging might look like this. Shown in red.

tigertiger:
If this was made by a local carpenter, it might help to know what part of the country you are in. It could be a Lancashire Nobby, or Morecambe Bay Prawner, if you are from that part of the world. But there are other regional variations like the Bristol Pilot Cutter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version