Mess Deck: General Section > Beginners start here...!

Building Advice Sought

(1/3) > >>

ChrisF:
Hi

I'm shortly to begin drawing up plans for a motor-sailer as per the photo and am looking for advice on building it.

I'm building at a scale of 1:12 so it will be 27 inches long.

As you can see the hull is based on a ship's lifeboat and due to the curves I'm assuming that plank on frame is the way to go which will be a completely new experience for me. I've no idea on the size of planks to use, whether single or double planking is required and what is the best timber. I know that this type of construction can be very time consuming and fiddly but I'm seeing it as a longer term project alongside my other simpler boat builds.

Any advice will be appreciated and if there are any similar builds I can be pointed at or any drawings for similar sized/designs of boat it will be most welcome.

Thanks, Chris

tigertiger:
It might be worth looking at the Lifeboat websites, to try to identify the donor type of lifeboat. Then search for model builds of that type of lifeboat. I doubt that there is a lifeboat type that has not been modeled and the build documented. Maybe even on here.

Also post in the lifeboats section on here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,163.0.html asking for advice on identifying and building a lifeboat hull. Someone may even have the hull lines and frames drawn up.

Colin Bishop:
Most wooden ship's lifeboats were clinker built, this one appears to be smooth - is a steel or GRP one?

If you know the length it may be possible to work out what type of ship it came from.

Colin

Netleyned:
27 ft methinks 8) 8)

[size=0px]I'm building at a scale of 1:12 so it will be 27 inches long. [/size]
Ned

CJ1:
Hi Chris,
This is a Fairly Fisherman, built by Fairey Marine in the 60s. It was conceived as a lifeboat hull, but put into production as a motor sailor instead. It was built using hot moulded diagonal planked wood, so smooth skinned. It's 27 feet long.
Plenty of info and photos of the real boat if you Google "Fairey Fisherman".
For a 27inch boat, 3mm thick balsa or cedar strip over planks will work well, although the transom area may need to be solid balsa because of the tight tuck-in to the rudder post.
Or to do it really well, look at the lovely diagonal planking in Charlie's post in Lifeboats
Re: Rother Class Lifeboat "RNLB Duke of Kent"
Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version