Mess Deck: General Section > Model Boating

Paper Models

(1/3) > >>

rickles23:
Hi,

I have never seen a paper model made up before and I was surprised at the result.

This one was part of an exhibit at the Port Macquarie Model Show today, Sunday 08 07 18.

Regards

Plastic - RIP:
I've seen some paper models that are unbelievably good - it's a skill that I'm really jealous of.

There's usually a load for sale on Ebay in 1/200 battleship kits for around £40 each. There's a lot of hidden structure inside to give strength to support themselves.

I can see that building the basic hull would be do-able with my skills but the detailing on the rest of the model would end up as a sticky mess.

richardabeattie:
I got a paper model of the Nile gunboat Melik, blew it up several times, made it out of wood, fitted radio and chucked away the paper.  At the scale offered I though tit was un-buildable.  At the scale now built it is a lot more convincing especially with several baggage camels on the rear deck.

Photo orientation fixed - Admin  :-)

Allnightin:
There is a large range of card warship models in 1/200th that are unlikely to be the subject of a plastic or wood kit.  The card pieces are very useful as templates to help getting the basic structure right.  There also quite a few fittings and photo etch sets that go a fair way to reduce the burden of scratchbuilding.  I have done a fast minelayer HMS Abdiel this way and have plans for the destroyer HMS Saumarez and cruiser HMS Naiad to follow

richardabeattie:
You mean you used the paper model as I did - as the basis for something that would float?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version