Mess Deck: General Section > Model Boating

Billing boats Will Everard help please

(1/8) > >>

timpars:
I have just been given this kit as a gift. It is my first foray into wooden boats (I'm coming from plastic kits).

To begin with it's ok but after installing the frames into the keel and fitting the deck, the next instruction is 'Sand the frames to fit theshape of the hull'.  What shape?  No doubt obvious, but not to me.

Help please {:-{

andrewh:
Hi, Timpars

the next instruction is 'Sand the frames to fit the shape of the hull'.  What shape?  No doubt obvious, but not to me.

I can understand this.  It is trying to say sand the edges of some of the frames so that they allow the planking (or sides) to fit in a natural curve.  I have done a swift sketch to try and explain what is meant.

A Thames barge is basically a shoe box shape with more-or-less pointy ends, so the middle frames need no attention.  But where the bow and stern start tapering, then the frames need to be sanded to allow the planking to lie against the whole width of the frame.

(on a ship with more shape - say, HMS Victory - most of the frames apart from the midships one have to be tapered  so that all the planking lies snugly)

How do you do it?  well pin a thin plank in position along the middle frames - pull it in at the bow and stern (fix with tape or rubber band) and see, and mark the shape it is trying to be.  sand frames as marked till the plank lies sweetly.

simples!
Are you building her as a display model or for sailing?
Hope this helps a bit
andrew

timpars:
Andrew

Thanks, this is just what I needed. I rdhad a feeling that this was the case but didn't want to start sanding until I knew :-))

Perhaps someone should write a better set of instructions :police:

This gives me the courage to proceed.

Thanks again

Tim.

tigertiger:
The other thing to think about before you start attaching any planks, is how they will be attached to the stem of the boat.
Looking at the model you will need to cut a rabbet into the stem to hold the ends of the planks. Do this first before you start fairing (cutting) the ends of your frames. As it will affect the angles.
You may also need to think about pre-bending the planks at the bow end. It sounds more complicated than it is. Have a look at the woodcare section on here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,109.0.html and look for planking and bending threads.

Also, have a look in the Master class section on the main board of Mayhem

barriew:

--- Quote from: timpars on July 10, 2018, 08:58:17 am ---
Perhaps someone should write a better set of instructions :police:

Tim.

--- End quote ---

Billings "instructions" are notoriously poor. They are sketchy at best and tend to vanish when things get tricky. You may not have noticed yet, but there is no help when it comes to rigging Will Everard :o

Barrie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version