The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Working Vessels

Paddle Steamer B L Nairn, the Fifie, a paddle car ferry.

(1/4) > >>

Edmund:

I've built a few paddle steamers, and living in the town of Dundee on the banks of the Tay, one is always being asked the question by the side of the pond, is that a Fifie?  That's one of the old car ferries that used to cross the Tay before 1966 when the road bridge was built.

In fact the two ferries operating at that time were motor ships operating with Voith Sneider units that made them very manoeuvrable.  In reserve was the old steam ferry the B L Nairn, last of a long line of roll on roll off ferries that had existed since the turn of the century.  It dated from 1929, and was pretty manoeuvrable itself having independent paddle wheels

Now I have thought this would be a lovely topic for a build.  A double ended car ferry, one end a vehicle deck the other a passenger saloon, the bridge in the middle and a tall smoke stack doubling as mast in the middle.  A nice wide stable paddle steamer.

I've posted a picture at the bottom of the boat, and a copy of the plans I've drawn up - now the originals are in the Dundee City Archives and I was kindly allowed to examine them and photograph them.  I could have had them scanned, at a price, but actually I like the challenge of drawing up the plans, as as I do it makes me think how the model is going to be constructed.

So 1/48th scale, but with a few changes to make a better model.  Slightly deeper draught, to be more stable, slightly larger paddle wheels, to give a little more power, and a simplified hull shape because the original was little more than a barge with pointy ends.  And no rudders, because all the steering can be done with its independent paddle wheels - I realised this from my Director class paddle tug.

I was told my a fellow modeller last week that the Heng Long tank gearboxes and motors make excellent drives for paddle boats ,and so I quickly and cheaply acquired one from that well known auction site, and it fits very neatly inside the plan.

So here goes, and wish me luck, as I start off on this new venture, a Fifie, or paddle driven steam car ferry.....

JimG:
Hi Edmund, if you are going to follow club tradition you will have to make it from aluminium sheet. We have had two fifies so far, both built by Findlay from alloy.
Jim

Edmund:
Hi Jim,

I think a break from tradition is required!  This Fifie’s going to be a wooden one!

Mackenzie:
Hi Edmund, good to hear about your next project. I will have look to see if have some pictures from Dad's build. You are aware Dave Ellis donated both to transport museum. Keeping up tradition the both have to sink on maiden voyage. Re Jim

hama:
What an interesting subject, and a really good looking boat! That drawing you are making is a piece of art in it self :-))
One question, on the original is it the wheels or the wheelhouse that is positioned in the middle of the vessels length? Can't really tell from the picture.
All the best
Hama

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version