Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripmax Intercepter prop advice  (Read 1253 times)

nowinaminute

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Ripmax Intercepter prop advice
« on: July 15, 2018, 11:40:07 pm »

Greetings everyone!

I picked one of these up cheap recently and gave it a bit of a mild update, the ESC and motor were corroded so I put in a Quicrun 1060 and a 15T 550 motor from an rc truck along with a flysky receiver. It seems to run pretty well but it's not exactly a speed demon.

I've tried to read up on these as much as I can and it seems that lengthening the prop shaft is beneficial both to add a larger prop and to get the prop out of the "tunnel" it sits in underneath the hull. I'm guessing this tunnel thing isn't a positive design aspect judging by how people seem to regard it. I've seen people use a simple extension stud for plug socket screws to extend the prop shaft so I'm going to grab one of those. The next question is, does anyone know a good prop to get in terms of diameter?

Because it's a sealed, 2 part hull I'm not too keen on trying to add water cooling so I think a 550 sized brushless inrunner would be about the easiest and coolest thing to put in there, cooler than the brushed motor at least.

I'd quite like to use an outrunner because they seem to run even cooler still but the stock motor mount is one of those simple ones that simply wraps around the motor. I suppose I could avoid fitting an entirely new mount by simply getting a bit of wood the same diameter as the stock motor, fitting the wood in the stock mount and then simply attaching the outrunner to the wood instead, crude but effective! Or another option would be to gut an old 540 motor, cut the can down and attach the outrunner to the old can straight through the mounting holes and again, place the old 540 can into the stock mount.

Anyway, back to the immediate issue, does anyone have or has owned one of these and do they know a good prop to get to replace the stock item?

Thanks in advance!

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
Re: Ripmax Intercepter prop advice
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 08:54:17 am »

Check this solution out at 0.10s, it seems that he did a adapter for a outrunner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8M_sw2e6KI
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

nowinaminute

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Ripmax Intercepter prop advice
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 02:51:53 pm »

Check this solution out at 0.10s, it seems that he did a adapter for a outrunner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8M_sw2e6KI

Yes I believe he has used part of the outer can for the old 540 motor. I think the screw holes for the outrunner line up with the screw holes of the old 540 motor so you can bolt the outrunner to the old 540 case and then put it into the standard mount. Very clever!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.