Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Other Technical Questions...

Hot Wire Cutters and wood?

(1/1)

aamcle:
If I put a wooden template on a block of foam can I cut around it without burning/cutting the wood?

Thanks       aamcle

tigertiger:
Probably not. But if you mask the wood with tape, and they draw around it with a marker pen that might work.

Andyn:
Yes, absolutely it will not cut the wood, and to burn it you'd have to be very still for a very long time. By which time you'd have no foam left anyway

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar:
Its how everyone used to cut foam wings for model aeroplanes , any wood works but ply was best as the multi direction grain meant the wire didn't catch in the grain the hot wire temp for cutting foam is nowhere near the temp of wood burn
My first foam cutter for wings had the wire tightened up over a 45 degree cut in the wood at each end and it didn't cut into the wood after initial tightening, for kits we used aluminium templates so they wouldn't wear out, not that the wood ones did wear out it was a `just in case` measure  m I only use CNC for foam cutting now though it is so much slower to cut but no templates to make and perfect finish every time.

aamcle:
Thanks All.      Aamcle

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version