Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: St. Michael restoration  (Read 1075 times)

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
St. Michael restoration
« on: July 21, 2018, 01:10:07 pm »

I have started on an attempt at restoring a Harold Flory "St. Michael" electric speed boat. At least I think that is what it is. The hull and deck are aluminium and the colours are correct for this. Unlike the HF "Swift" that I have the joint between the hull and deck is all turned over and pressed or crimped, so I cannot remove the deck without surgery. There is very serious corrosion to the inside structures (motor mount and battery holder) which looks as though it has seen some salt water service. All that remains of the motor is a magnetic rotor on one end of the prop shaft, and the prop shaft seems to have a "crank" that may have been part of some sort of rotating contact. Can anyone help me with details please? Thanks for looking, John.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: St. Michael restoration
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:22:41 am »

Not the same boat, but when a growing lad I had a pressed metal boat with a similar sounding motor.  In addition to the magnet on the shaft there was a horseshoe shaped coil, the "cam" driven contact and a lever that protruded through the deck to alter the "timing" of the contact.  Never very satisfactory, mostly good for flattening batteries quickly while not going very fast.  The prop needed a flick start to get it going.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: St. Michael restoration
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 10:38:14 pm »

Thanks for the reply. Progress so far is slow. Due to corrosion, the propeller has has broken off from the prop shaft, I can repair this but it does mean that I can remove the prop shaft. I will replace the motor with a modern "can" motor and a new brass prop shaft. The rest of the restoration is mainly cosmetic, and replacing the flag. John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.