Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyne Class Lifeboat build  (Read 21697 times)

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Tyne Class Lifeboat build
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 01:32:14 am »

Just finished the engine cover, bolt detail, by gluing diamonte crystals ( approx 90 per cover ) a long laborious job but well worth it. Next job is painting the deck colour then the hull can be finished with details and decals.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 10:00:38 pm »

The engine covers now with the deck painted and survivors cabin in place.

I won't be doing much more for the next week or so, off to North Wales for a week's holiday on Sunday. Planning to visit as many lifeboat stations as possible while I'm there ( but don't tell the wife) :}

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 11:48:12 pm »

So with Zero knowledge of Tyne Class Life boats.....I am assuming the two engine cover plates would only be for the original installation of the engines......[or and the unfortunate circumstance of an engine failure & had to be removed?]....

So with all routine maintenance [filters, lube work, injectors, turbocharger, exhausts.......etc] carried out under the engine room deck

With all [most] diesel engine applications and the installed Detroit Diesel 92 DDEC V6 engines, the maintenance is hours based, are the engines anticipated with the prescribed maintenance last the projected 20 year life of the vessel without major [removal] overhaul?

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 12:10:28 am »

I do not know a great deal about the real boats, I can only assume the engine covers were made removable incase of engine failure or major overhaul. I am sure someone a lot more knowledgeable on mayhem would be able to answer your question.
I put them on my model because they are quite a major feature if the deck.

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 04:45:08 am »

Correct. Most maintenance would be done inside. The DDECs were only fitted in the 1990s, originally, they had GM engines. There are some photos on the web of Ramsgate’s Waveney having an engine change while still on the water, alongside the harbour wall, although it was easier on the Tynes & Waveneys - you have to dismantle half the superstructure on the Trents, Severns and Tamars and on the Arun you take off the deck plates and the superstructure roof to get them out.

Lance

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2018, 05:58:03 am »

Sounds a complicated lift furball, to have to remove a deck section, & 1/2 the superstructure you mention to get an engine back out, even if all of the engine ancillaries' were removed for the lift

Sounds nearly as complicated as me .....in a previous working life, superviising the lifting out of 13 tonne GMLS13 Missile Launcher O0 from one of our RAN Destroyers  .........

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2018, 12:48:17 am »

Only managed to do an hour or so on the boat in the last couple of days. Fitted the trim tab rams, cages and exhausts. This will be the last post for a week or so as I am off on holiday to North Wales for a week.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 01:43:02 am »

Back from my holiday and been concentrating on the hull. Fendering fitted, lining done, boat number and station name applied. Just the grab lines and depth markings to do, and then the prop shafts and rudders can be reinstalled,  I can then move onto detailing the main cabin.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 01:51:21 am »

Spent the last few days starting to detail the flying bridge. Lots of small details to make and paint.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 10:28:27 am »

BRILLIANT...…….…...ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.!! O0 O0 :-))

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2018, 09:26:21 pm »

Thanks Neil

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2018, 08:16:53 pm »

I have been working on the raised platform and safety rails behind the main cabin for the last week or so. Progress has been slow as my pipe bending and soldering aren't my strongest points , but I am pleased with the results. I have made it with working hinged entry/exit barrier and also the mid section lifts out like on the real boat. Just needs painting the appropriate colour.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2018, 02:02:57 pm »

that is a beautifully constructed set of raised gratings and brass work Beyno………..this build just gets better and better, no fuss, no histrionics, just beautiful work...……..I applaud you sir...…...a masterclass in good scratch building.

it also shows that you don't have to spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds to buy the "best" equipment to make your boat look and go better. This model is a true statement of modesty and what CAN  be built from a general workshop clutter and basics to hand. it stands up to any model that I see on here, including my own efforts.

I LOVE IT.!

superb!

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 01:30:51 am »

Once again thanks Neil for your kind words. I am humbled by the amount of interest and kind remarks that have been made about my build. I hope to continue with the same standard of work for the rest of the build.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2018, 04:11:26 pm »

I am humbled by the amount of interest and kind remarks that have been made about my build.

you shouldn't be Beyno, for it is superb indeed.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »

Thumbs up, fantastic work. your work in progress keeps me coming back for more inspiration...

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2018, 09:14:14 am »

Thanks Trucker have had a few days without building I have been made up with a bad cold and been to Blackpool for the weekend to the model boat show. I also ordered a 1/12 scale Mersey lifeboat hull and cabin fory next project.  :}

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2018, 11:07:10 pm »

After no doing much building for the last week or so I have started making the windows. I originally purchased a full set of windows from Mac's Mouldings and although there is nothing wrong with them I didn't feel prototypical. Each of the new windows consist of 4 pieces of plasticard sandwiched together. Although each one takes about 1 hour to produce I think it is worth it.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2018, 11:18:56 pm »

I haven't posted any updates for a while but I have still been building. I finished the mammoth job of making, painting and fitting the windows. I have also given the boat its name and done a bit more detailing work. I have also fitted the prop shafts, props and rudders. Next I will be making the spray screens, aerials and mast. I will post some photos when I get a bit further on.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2018, 11:34:43 pm »

It's been a while since I posted any pictures of my Tyne build, I haven't been able to spend much time on it recently. I have been making the mast, aerials, spray screens etc. The mast, aerials and spray screens all fold down, as in the real boats, the navigation, deck and blue flashing lights all work and the radar is a modified micro servo that constantly rotates. Next to do is finish off the aerials and a couple of other bits and pieces then it's onto the deck fittings.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 02:01:02 pm »

I have been busy finishing of the detailing on the main cabin over the last couple of weeks. This has included making and fitting the various aerials, search LIGHTS, boat hooks, windscreen wipers and washer pipes and also the fire hydrant and back rest on the flying bridge.
The liferaft has been made and fitted to the back of the survivors cabin ( it just requires the decals and retaining straps fitting).
The next things to be made are all the various deck fittings.

[/img]

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 11:24:30 pm »

Some of the bollards and deck fittings have been made and painted also the capstan has been made ( amazing what you can do with a piece of lego and some offcuts of plasticard and tube). :}

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 01:31:33 am »

A few more deck fittings finished ready for fitting.The 6 bullseye fairleads are commercial items but the stern fairlead and bow roller are both scratch built using plasticard and tube.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2019, 11:19:39 am »

Hi Beyno,
I have been away from model lifeboat building for some months now [and still will be for the immediate future - possibly], but have just given myself a first look at the Forum again to catch up on matters - and WOW this is a superbly detailed model! You should be well proud of it. On a personal level I really like:
  • the engine covers and the use of the 'jewellery bits' to act as deck fixing bolts - most effective
  • the really beautiful little upper steering [external] gate and railing section - makes my heart warm when I see others  making a good attempt at soldering and succeeding! Keep up the work here.
  • and all the small detail [wiring connections as one example] that adorns your scratch built wheelhouse and deck fittings - a real lesson to us [and help] on scratch building, long may it continue to live!
Well, keep up the very good work and this build 'thread' - it is an inspiration to us all and a different model that I will think will inspire many others to build one. Funnily, unlike others, it is not a lifeboat that I have ever enjoyed the shape and lines of, but you have certainly won me over in your superb build here.
Cheers,
Kim - Canterbury Coxswain

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2019, 12:30:03 am »

Hi Kim
Thank you for you very kind comments.
Chris
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.