Mess Deck: General Section > Other Hobbies and Interests

What I've been up to

(1/13) > >>

radiojoe:

Hi guy's not been on the Forum for about four months ( time sure does fly) mainly because after building 6 large warships and various other craft in the 8 years since I retired I thought I'd had enough of boats and wanted a change and after a few car kits etc. I thought I would go back to an old interest and build my forth 00 gauge railway, I had all my old locos and rolling stock stored away and a fair amount of flexi track good enough to reuse, also this time it's DCC instead of DC, as most of you probably know it means Digital Command Control, so I had to fit a chip to each loco so you control each loco by an address number.
anyway I started it just over two months ago, It's on an 8' x 4' base with a hidden area or fiddle yard with a tunnel each end, I'm in no way a rivet counter so I don't bother with trains are running in a particular era or what vehicles are present etc. it's just a working model, and like nearly all scale projects there is always a compromise between what looks right and what works so some of the bends are not quite realistic, anyway if anyone is interested here's a few photos of the layout so far, If anyone is a fan of the TV series Heartbeat there is a one of the photo's should look familiar.

Cheers  guys    Joe.

ballastanksian:

I like the way the depot forced the road to go around it. Very natural in built up areas of the time. Lovely job as per usual Joe  :-))

A lot of my gang at the Yeovil club also do model railways.

radiojoe:

Thanks for your kind comments Ian,.

Yes it's a very popular hobby and surprising just how many so called celebrities are into it the likes of Pete Waterman etc.

Joe.

bgrunes:
Excellent layout, like the Heartbeat link. Inspirational stuff never got into railways but this has sparked an interest. Thanks

radiojoe:

Pleased you found it of interest, one good thing about this hobby is you don't have to rely on the weather,  the layout in the photos is now dismantled I wasn't happy with it, as a model it was ok but wasn't very user friendly, some of the radii were too tight so I couldn't run large locos, the base board is now turned upside down and is being used on my next layout I hope to get it right this time, it's a walk in layout with a flap, didn't fancy crawling under every time, it has approx. 30 metres of flexi track and 22 sets of points with more sidings etc. and probably a bit of land scaping, I post phots of progress for anyone who may be interested.

Joe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version