Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluebird K7 on Bute  (Read 6516 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Bluebird K7 on Bute
« on: August 07, 2018, 11:59:50 am »

Any Mayhemers on the Isle of Bute to see rebuilt Campbell K7 run again ?   Neil did you make it ?
..well can you land on this?

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bluebird K7 on Bute
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 02:27:27 pm »

Any Mayhemers on the Isle of Bute to see rebuilt Campbell K7 run again ?   Neil did you make it ?

hi matey, I booked into a bed n breakfast for tomorrow and Thursday night in largs and will be over there on Thursday or Friday which ever is the better weather day......would have gone earlier this week but was in hospital from Friday to Monday lunchtime suffering from kidney stones...……..but got released yesterday so made the booking last night after coming down to earth from the morphine, lol.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 10:24:20 am »

It made the main evening news on this side of the world and looked great.  :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:35:35 pm »

Thursday they had a couple of fast-ish runs today, both ways,  fine weather for daytime runs instead of dusk. 130 something MPH !!!!  The sound live is like no other jet engine I`ve ever heard, must be some sort of inter action with the  water. See today's videos on their Twitter page.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:28:24 pm »

Kiwi, wait `till you see today`s (Thursday) videos posted on their Twitter account.  136 mph   %%   You don`t have to be a " Twitterer"

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:56:19 pm »

Neil, Rothesay on the Isle of Bute is where you want to be.  Largs is miles away.  Hope the medication isn't affecting your navigation %% .  Wemyss Bay to Bute Calmac ferry is a 30 minute, £6 return jaunt.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 09:43:16 am »

See it go on Thursday  http://twitter.com/bluebirdk7   :o :o :o

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:07:48 pm »

Just WOW!
Regards
Kit

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 12:28:18 pm »

Kits, the noise is so peculiar, doesnt come across on the video but is weird, low and loud. You had be there.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 04:13:54 pm »

How much throttle are they using though? T

he Red's Gnats had to use 100% almost the whole time during their displays and that produced the 'Orpheus Whine' very nicely. 
Regards
Kit

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 07:07:31 pm »

Good question . The team didn't give out too many technical details. The ex Red Arrow pilot has a twitter account perhaps he would be able to say. The whine disappeared very early at Loch Fad  and a deep rumble ( like thunder)was the predominant sound . I wear two hearing aids so might sound different to others though I could hear the whine at slow speed.  The clouds of steam and atomised water at speed was also very impressive. I don't know what happened today (friday) but they did  get ready to run , weather permitting.  I had to leave last night due to work,. the wife`s :embarrassed: .

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 01:21:39 am »

Neil, Rothesay on the Isle of Bute is where you want to be.  Largs is miles away.  Hope the medication isn't affecting your navigation %% .  Wemyss Bay to Bute Calmac ferry is a 30 minute, £6 return jaunt.

made it over on Thursday, Duncan...…….just so emotive and emotional...……..just fantastic...…….couldn't believe it...….just magical...……….can't wait for her to come back to Coniston.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 05:41:19 am »

Oops!
First? dent

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 09:43:06 am »

Well spotted Brian, notice the frame on the new canopy ?    BTW no wildlife  harmed during this event {-)  They might find some fried trout  though {-)   Glad you made it Neil. Enjoy the highland games today and chat to the Bluebird crew.  I thought the guy running the Twitter pages did very well with the blow by blow account of proceedings at Loch Fad.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 11:21:23 am »

Yes, they need to beware of dents, the one Donald picked up on the port outrigger strut had a marked effect on the boat's stability according to the Sheppard book.
Regards
Kit

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 12:16:28 pm »

There seems to be a difference of opinion in the Campbell family as to whether Bluebird should have been salvaged. Tonia Bern Campbell his widow was not in favour of it. Co incidentally she was a customer of the Midland Bank in Leatherhead where I worked in 1967.
Colin

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 01:22:29 pm »

Gina Campbell, Donald`s daughter, was at Loch Fad and seemed to enter into the spirit of things.  She is very small in stature and charming to talk with.  My camera was on full tele when I grabbed a shot from close-up , not a great shot so wont put it on here. She had Mr Whoppit with her,  I didn't know he had been rescued from Coniston.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 01:29:54 pm »

Yes, Gina is reportedly very supportive of restoring the boat. I suppose it is understandable that Tonia is less keen to see it dredged up all those years after her husband was killed in it.
Nevertheless the restoration has obviously meant a lot to many people and it looks magnificent.
Colin

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 04:43:21 pm »

The Bluebird Team were welcomed at the Bute Highland Games in Rothesay on Saturday.  See latest pics on the Twitter account if you like the sound of bagpipes. The whole week was well documented with video of the runs on the loch on Twitter.  Wonder if Neil went to the Games or is he in Nardinis in Largs tucking into one of their famous Knickerbocker Glories. Come on Neil ...own up, you had one didn't you ?? :}

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 07:36:01 pm »

The Bluebird Team were welcomed at the Bute Highland Games in Rothesay on Saturday.  See latest pics on the Twitter account if you like the sound of bagpipes. The whole week was well documented with video of the runs on the loch on Twitter.  Wonder if Neil went to the Games or is he in Nardinis in Largs tucking into one of their famous Knickerbocker Glories. Come on Neil ...own up, you had one didn't you ?? :}

hi Duncan...…….no, it was a trip back yesterday after doing a few more things around the town...…..did have an ice-cream from Nardini's and one from Giraldo's over the 3 days…..can't favour one vendor over the other lol.....and another from another little ice-cream shop on Aran...…….can't resist my ice-cream, and then another in Pooley Bridge in the Lakes on the way home...……….my moto is...…...if people take the time to make the stuff, then it would be churlish not to sample it. lol. {-) {-)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 09:35:06 am »

Glad you made it Neil.  Nardinis was a main stopping place during my childhood and youth. This trip I had to take the Bosun to visit her granny's house in Port Bannatyne just a short distance from Rothesay. By accident I found the memorial to the X-craft midget submarine crews that trained there. Later a big plus was The Waverley coming in to Rothesay so we jumped aboard and went to the Kyles of Bute and back then up to Loch Fad for more midge bites and an evening run by Bluebird. My cup runneth over. I do miss living by the sea.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2018, 10:43:45 am »

Memories that will not fade

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 02:46:33 pm »

as you say Duncan...……..memories that will not fade......it was just pure raw emotion to see her tramp up and down the loch....so emotional that I'm glad only my daughter was witness to me crying...…..

and as you say...so much going on in that part of the world on the Clyde.....friends that my daughter made whilst in the merchant navy for a brief period were on the P & O Oriana as she sailed past our ferry Caledonian Isles on the last sailing of the evening from Brodick...…...they were sending each other messages on their phones...

as Robert Duval said in the film The Eagle has landed......synchronicity…...where certain possibilities all come together at the same time in the same place...…..it was just an amazing 3 days which I'll never forget......and to finish off, just a few pics I took that day...…...some from my b n b bedroom window.

and even a brace of Jupiter models to look at that evening on Largs model lake...……..couldn't have wanted more...…….well, an icecream maybe, lol.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2018, 05:36:56 pm »

I`m not sure I like the Oriana`s blue funnel , looked better cream or buff.  Part Union flag nearly OK imho.   That is about the maximum number of decks for a cruise ship before they become apartment blocks . {:-{

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 07:12:16 pm »

I`m not sure I like the Oriana`s blue funnel , looked better cream or buff.  Part Union flag nearly OK imho.   That is about the maximum number of decks for a cruise ship before they become apartment blocks . {:-{

have to agree with you in every respect, Duncan...…….but she has really nice looks of her predecessor and Canberra...…...and I really do like her none overpowering looks of "almost" yesteryear liners.

at that point she was doing 17 knots.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.