Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bangarth/Rosegarth  (Read 2765 times)

GreyCelt

• Shipmate
Bangarth/Rosegarth
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:29:12 am »

Hi Folks...can somebody sort out an 'anomaly' for me.I'm in the process of finishing off a model of Rosegarth built from a kit by Mobile Marine Models.  As it happens this is not the first time I've built one of this class of tugs having previously built a Mountfleet 'Bangarth'.My question...why is there such a disparity in the sizes of the two hulls, both of which are sold as 1:32 and both supposedly from identical ships, and which company is correct Mountfleet or MMM?
I would be interested to know who is right, although this is not the first time this question has been asked I bet!Many thanks.John

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Bangarth/Rosegarth
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 11:40:16 am »

The original which was launched in 1954 according to the search I just did would have been length 102ft 6in. At 1:32 scale this will be 38.4 in and at 1:35 scale it will be 35.1 inches. So is the difference between the hulls greater or smaller than that 3inces? Most model stuff between these two scales is usually confused because the difference is negligible - unless of course you have two of the same model next to each other showing that difference!
For instance a scale figure of 6ft tall (yes not everyone is as tall as that!) will be 2 1/4 in at 1:32 and 2inches at 1:35, just a quarter inch difference and as I mentioned, even if the figure painting war diorama stuff it doesn't matter because using both sizes you can claim one bloke is 6ft tall and the other only 5ft 6inches :)

GreyCelt

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 04:33:53 pm »

Many thanks for the reply Brian60...sadly doesnt help a lot...both company's insist their models are 1:32 even though, when stood side by sideBangarth (Mounfleet) is 41.5 inches/1055 mm ...Rosegarth (MMM) measures 36 inches/915 mm.Bangarth quite literally dwarfs Rosegarth, yet both vessels are supposedly built from the same set of Builders plans!The mystery remains...who is right?CheersJohn

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 05:14:11 pm »

The reason forty the discrepancy is probably due to Frank Hinchcliffe utilising the hull of the Empire tug/Flying Tempest for the Bangarth. The only problem with this is the Bangarth hull, length of boat deck for instance bears no or very little resemblance to the real thing. It was Frank being Frank, he want to get a new model out ASP and utilised what he had, those of us that knew him well just accepted it.

LB

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 06:07:33 pm »

Another anomaly is the peculiar rivet detail on the M.M.M.hull.  All straight lines with no plate jiggle or overlap.and 3” rivet heads.

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:17:49 am »

The deck layout is different on both models too.... that said I love my Mountfleet Bangarth; a squat, chunky  yet elegant design that brings many positive comments as she ploughs through the water.
I went for the Mountfleet version because of the "clutter" as oppose to the slightly simpler lines of the MMM version , which I presume to be much better for Tug Towing as there's a little less to get broken if you're into that side of the hobby.
I would certainly give house room  to well built versions of these models but then I have no interest in comments from Rivet Counters.

I also have a Mountfleet Highlander which I call the "Wee Dram".... this I made a little different from the norm by moving the Upper deck housing staircase and entrance to the port side rather than at the rear as on plan.... never had a negative comment from anyone on this little mod.

Regards
Terry H
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.