Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamar paint finish  (Read 2497 times)

ajb63

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Tamar paint finish
« on: July 08, 2018, 04:19:07 pm »

Hi
I have just finished painting my first boat hull a  ModelSlipwa Tamar with Halfords rattle cans. Do l need to put a finish coat over the paint or just give it a rub down with 2500 grit paper and polish it. I have noticed the weight of hull on the stand has left an impression in the white hull even though  it has been painted 3 weeks ago.Stand has 15mm plumbing pipe insulation for hull support.  Hope it hardens with time. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Alan

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tamar paint finish
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 09:58:45 pm »

what primer did you use and how much did you use ?
John

ajb63

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 07:32:30 am »

Hi John
I sprayed hull and deck with grey primer all over, masked hull then white primed below waterline and top coated appliance white. All Halfords cans . Don't think l overdid the undercoats . Top coated about 3 coats until it looked like a reasonable finish. Had hull upside down while white was drying and grey seems hard. Does finished painting work need any covering.
Alan

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 02:58:11 pm »

Hi John,
No need for a lacquer/clear coat if you're happy with the finish from the can.  If not, I'd try a polish first before rubbing down.

This thread might help in the future if you don't want to respray the hull now as I had a similar issue which was the Halfords primer; [size=78%]Paint and boat stand[/size].  If the link doesn't work, it in this section of the forum with last post on 12 Jan 2016.

Phil

ajb63

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 08:31:11 pm »

Hi Phil
Link worked OK. Not very nice reading .
Have just used 2500 grit paper on one side of hull and placed it back in cradle on pipe insulation with paper protection between hull and foam to eliminate any reaction. Let you know results .
Alan

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 09:57:52 pm »

Hi John
I sprayed hull and deck with grey primer all over, masked hull then white primed below waterline and top coated appliance white. All Halfords cans . Don't think l overdid the undercoats . Top coated about 3 coats until it looked like a reasonable finish. Had hull upside down while white was drying and grey seems hard. Does finished painting work need any covering.
Alan
I had a problem with Halfords white primer .
If you spray more than  a dust coat it  strugels to harden and stays soft . I had this on my ferry , I used white primer , then put some paint over that . left it a week then masked up . when i removed the masking tape it had indented . After looking in to it and doing some testing i found the cause was the white primer. If apply to heavy or to many coat with out a long time drying between it stays soft and prone to indenting . Time might harden it I dont know as i rubbed mine down and started again .
John

ajb63

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 08:57:51 am »

Hi
Looked at the result of polishing out marked and isolating with paper, after 14 hours the marks have reappeared .
I think I will rub down the hull area covering the stand support and between back to the start point , grey primer that area and repaint with  Appliance White . Don't fancy doing all of the white hull below waterline. Thought l was doing well for my first model boat. Any thoughts on only doing part respray at pressure points.
Alan

ajb63

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:54:56 pm »

Hull ready for grey primer.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 05:41:39 pm »

if you use appliance white, leave it for at least 48 hours from final coat to harden......preferably 72 hours. white paint has I have always found tend to take much longer to harden and cure than any other colour...….I would leave it as seen in your last photo, upside down with no weight on it.

I am the last person to give advice on painting techniques, but even I know that white paint needs patience.....sprayed enough lifeboat bums to know that one, lol.

ajb63

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 08:13:41 pm »

Hi Neil
Put photo on to if my resizing works OK.
Put a couple of coats of grey primer on this afternoon. Will let dry for 48 hrs and check for marks from cradle . If all is well will spray with Appliance white.
Staying with same paint so as to match with existing white.
Last time l left hull upsidedown for 2 weeks while on holiday.
Alan

ajb63

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 12:00:25 pm »

Resprayed part hull with Grey primer, left 24 hrs put on stand. No marks left after a day.
Sprayed 3 light coats of Appliance gloss white with several hours between coats to just cover grey primer. Left 24 hrs and sprayed 2 top coats with 2 hrs apart.
Left upside down for 2 weeks and placed on stand, next day the marks from the stand were less visible in painted hull , with a 80% improvement. Rubbed down paintwork with 2500 grit paper and polished up.
Made 4 off  3" x 4" floating pads which a fixed to the standard hull support and stuck foam to. thinking it would spread the hull weigh.
Placed Tamar on stand withe paper between hull and foam, next day marks still visible.
Don't know whether to leave it as it is hoping it will harden eventually or strip off completely and paint a red hull.
Any ideas as i am eager to make some progress.
Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.