Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refillable gas tank (Microcosm)  (Read 2842 times)

afetta

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Refillable gas tank (Microcosm)
« on: August 16, 2018, 06:56:27 pm »

I purchased a refillable gas tank with burner and connecting plumbing on evilbay from Microcosm. My intent was to use the tank and burner to convert a Saito B2F boiler to gas. I am having difficulty with the tank and burner, after filling (how do you know it is full?) cannot get the burner to light, when the tank valve is open I can hear a hiss but the burner will not light, there is a smell indicating fuel is present. I have read the instructions at Miniature Steam for their tanks and they indicate the valve should be open when fueling the tank, this is something I did not do with the tank I have. Is it possible the tank is overfilled and liquid is being released?Any suggestions would be appreciated..

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Refillable gas tank (Microcosm)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 07:12:32 pm »

Hi it's John V if you have the gas tank valve open when you fill it. You will lose your gas ..I always make sure valve is shut and you just fill it like you do a lighter you will no when it's full because while you are filling it it just spurts back .If when you fill the tank open valve and light burner ither buy the chimney or burner .When it lights sometime it makes a poping noise give it a try  cheers John V

Steam Boat Willie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 08:46:30 pm »

Some people suggest that you crack open the tank valve to vent it as the liquid enters the tank.  You then fill it until you see liquid spurting from the outlet valve.  You need to be sure though that the tank is not totally full of liquid as it can over pressurise with liquid expansion.  There must be a gas space at the top.   I actually fitted a vent valve just for that reason to my own refillable tank but it has a dip tube fitted to it to ensure there is gas at the top of the liquid.  The only way of being sure how much gas there is in the tank is to weigh it with some small accurate scales.  If the weight goes up you know liquid is going in the tank.

There is something else wrong if you cannot ignite the burner and you can hear and smell gas.  Partially blocked jet or not enough air are both possibilities but without seeing the arrangement I cannot be sure what variables you have.  Is the burner ceramic, drilled disc or a poker burner?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:57:27 pm »

You have read our Australian Miniature Steam instructions for gas tank filling which are clear & logical but now wish to apply it to another manufacturers
product

Willie has offered some critical points to follow :-)) ...cracking the discharge valve, over filling & a set of digital scales ....

What type of dialogue did you first have with Jin @ Microcosm? what instruction did you receive from Jin?.......I certainly would pen a note back to Jin clearly explaining your circumstances and asking for a fix.....

Best use a PC language translator & send your e-mail to Jin in both Chinese and English

A number of French model boat builders have videos of Microcosms gas tanks being used, however it is best to have your individual quandary resolved first

Good luck & keep us posted  O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 11:13:03 am »

Bonjour Afetta,
Cheddar and Microcosm are equialent : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eez9ACLowcQ
Here are two  of my Microcosm plant :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO16806-3pM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-MIX5SC5w&t=124s
Please note that you have to light the burner through the chemney.
Sorry in French, but hopr that will hep you.
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

afetta

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 03:19:57 pm »

Thank you all who have replied to my query. I actually have two of the Microcosm tanks, one of which works perfectly, so today I did some part switching to find the reason for the failure. It turns out that the jet on the non firing burner is plugged. The jet is marked .2, I assume that is .2mm, pretty small. in our system it would sugar off to .008 inch. Since I have nothing that small on hand I am wondering how I can open it..Perhaps I should order several of them to keep on hand..Again thanks all for your answers..

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
Re: Refillable gas tank (Micocosm)
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 06:55:53 pm »

Bonjour afetta,
Jin (Microcosm) is very sensitive to the quality of his products and I would suggest you to tell him your problem and ask him a new jet. I am sure he will send you another one for free in a letter.  Do not hesitate to send him pictures to help Google translator in your explanations ;)
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

pendlesteam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 07:51:40 pm »

I make all of my own tanks but can tell you the following. First the gas jet may be partially blocked - soak in coca cola for 24 hours and blow through. The gas jet or pipe connections might be slightly leaking  - even a tiny leak will kill it. 0.2mm is about a no.5 jet, plenty big enough for most boilers. You might have liquid gas in the line - total killer - strip down, blow out and try again. No connection even remotely with microcosm but these are the normal culprits - even my burners clog sometimes so it is no reflection on quality! Hope this helps. Nigel @ pendle steam boilers.

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 01:33:23 am »

Thank you all who have replied to my query. I actually have two of the Microcosm tanks, one of which works perfectly, so today I did some part switching to find the reason for the failure. It turns out that the jet on the non firing burner is plugged. The jet is marked .2, I assume that is .2mm, pretty small. in our system it would sugar off to .008 inch. Since I have nothing that small on hand I am wondering how I can open it..Perhaps I should order several of them to keep on hand..Again thanks all for your answers..

With some of my camping stoves they include a small wire probe for clearing plugged jets, you may be able to buy one at a camping store or check at a welding supply.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 05:54:59 pm »

affeta,

Take the jet out of the jet holder and with your compressor blow back thro' from front to back, if you do it the other way all you are doing is driving anything that is blocking the hole back into the jet.
Over filling of the gas tank with L.P.G. is a killer, let some gas out of the tank if it's too full, and also blow out the pipe from the tank if it's full of L.P.G.

Most commercial made tanks have a RONSON type gas filler fitted which vents out L.P.G. when full, leaving about a 20% air gap in the tank, that is assuming that you are using the gas for filling "CiG" lighters.
So don't over fill your tank.

George.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.